Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Today is the day that so many of us who have been watching this secret project from Polaris finally get a taste of sweet sweet validation! We thought that Polaris has had something up their sleeves and today we got the word that the Polaris Slingshot is indeed going to be a reality, and the full release is going to be on 27th of July!

From what we can tell, and what has been rumored, the Polaris Slingshot is a street legal machine that has an open top, and apparently no doors. The Slingshot, from what we can tell from the Patent Drawings and Spy Shots, is a 3-wheeled vehicle that has two wheels up front and one in the rear. We are not 100% sure if it is a front wheel drive car, or rear just yet.

The details are a little light, but I can tell you from the screen caps from the Polaris Slingshot Teaser Video is this: Polaris is ALL IN on this new product, and they have abandoned the CVT in favor of a manual shift transmission... I say that they are "All In" due to the fact that you can spy in the video that they will likely have a full line of Slingshot Branded outerwear based on the fact that the driver is wearing gloves. This leads me to believe that the slingshot is, as rumored, open topped with no roof available!

Also, you see the driver is swapping cogs with his right hand instead of the "foot down and go" operation of a CVT transmission in virtually all of their full line of vehicles. An interesting departure for sure! I for one am excited to think that they have three pedals on the floor and a shifter for your right hand!

The next video is slated to release on July 7th, and subsequent videos all the way up to the full release on the 27th of July! It might just be a second Independence day for many of us!

As we have been watching the Slingshot for over a year, we have the premier place to read all of the news and rumors of what this new machine is and will be capable of! Polaris Slingshot Forum

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Sounds like another stupid ugly useless can am spyder.
Two wheels up front and one out back. :rolleyes:
Another useless rich boy toy.

I detest hype.

Come back when you can show us what this thing really is.

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Sounds like another stupid ugly useless can am spyder.
Two wheels up front and one out back. :rolleyes:
Another useless rich boy toy.

I detest hype.

Come back when you can show us what this thing really is.

:cool:

I only have two problems with it, it's a car, and it's a Polaris :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't like most of the 3 wheelers either, but the T-rex was pretty badass. Way over priced but it was fast. The Spyder had no performance, though it looked ok. I know a few people that are partially disabled and this is all the can ride, so it's great for them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are thinking that the Slingshot is going to be a little different than all of the existing 3 wheeled vehicles. Passengers sit side by side unlike the Spyder, and it looks like they are boing to be touting some good performance based on the way that they are pitching it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
We are thinking that the Slingshot is going to be a little different than all of the existing 3 wheeled vehicles. Passengers sit side by side unlike the Spyder, and it looks like they are going to be touting some good performance based on the way that they are pitching it.
That was how the T-rex was setup as well, but unlike the Spyder, they went with the Hayabusa motor. The thing was a real beast, but really was more of a three wheeled car than a motorcycle, esp the Aero.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ok, that thing is pretty cool and not bad specs:1725 pounds, driven by a 2.4-liter engine, produces 173 horsepower and 166 foot-pounds of torque, retails at $19,999 to $23,999. Which is cheaper than their Spyder and looks nicer too (imo), but it really has nothing to do with a motorcycle other than the sprocket on the rear wheel.
Polaris Slingshot three-wheeled roadster debuts - chicagotribune.com
Definitely a nice option for someone who wants to be in the wind or can't ride 2 wheels anymore. Also a lot more all weather capability than a motorcycle. Still not really what I would consider a bike or even a trike, despite what they classify it as.
I wouldn't fault anyone for buying it though.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It is a bummer for sure. They did get in front of the issue though:

Polaris Slingshot Stop Ride Update 1-21-15 | Polaris Slingshot Forum

And they are even kicking down up to $250 in transport costs to get the Slingshots to dealerships to be repaired.

That is very stand up though. I applaud the company for making the recall instead of ignoring the problem like previous manufacturers have done with other types of automotive/powersports products.

It does speak to the company's ethics... But also leaves a bit of a bad taste since it was released to the public with faulty parts..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts