Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I PM "JETPILOT" and he gave me some asnwers (bold letters) to a few questions I had on my 929..... my question now is what do I do about a lean running bike?? Oh and he wanted to know what add on part were installed....nothing major... Flapper removed and HTEV wires in midrange position, NGK iridium plugs. K&N filter(I think) and a two brother racing muffler.

Hey,
So I just had a few questions regarding this bike (929.) I got mine running well again and tonight I was sitting on it revving and what not and held it at about 9-11 grand for a few. I noticed that the headers became red hot....and I do mean literally RED. Normal?

when it gets red like that at high rpm's , that mean it might be running slightly lean...if the pipe isn't red at idle or up to about 6000 rpms, but is red above that then you need to raise the jet size.
The second is, should my engine and exhaust get a bit distorted when at high RPM's?I dont want to say backfiring but its like it wants a wider pipe...you know? It sound so low and rumbly and rock solid anywhere below say 8 grand but up about it gets raspy....I know that there is alot going on at that RPM but its nice to hear its normal......is it?

another lean condition symtom.

The third is what temperature should I start being concerned with on my digital temp guage? I know the fan kicks in at 215 but when does it become to hot......tonight I had it up to about 235...

235 is too hot...shouldn't get above maybe 225, another lean symtom.
Anyways just a few question, I dont think anything is wrong but they are noises and particular things about the bike Im not used too.

Any help would be cool,
THanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
sounds like the bike is new to you. first thing you want to do is take that K&N air filter and throw it in the trash and put a factory one in the bike, 235 is to hot, my bike has never got above 218, normal running temp when riding is usualy 180 t0 190, the temp can get hotter when just sitting and reving the engine which sounds like what you did considering the amout of snow we just got up here. a friend of mine works on bikes for a living ill pm you my number since you live in maine.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
First, I've never held a bike on full noise in neutral while stationary so I'm just guessing here.
NGK iridiums aren't a mod (they're standard) unless you mean they're a different heat range?
Red hot - possibly normal since there's no air flow across them.
Again, with no airflow to assist in cooling the headers and evacuating the muffler this may also be normal.
With no airflow the fan is nowhere near enough to cool the radiator so it is definately going to overheat. This is why they have big fans in dyno rooms.
Do you encounter any of these symptoms while riding?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well unfortunatly riding is not an option right now....with over a foot of snow.
The bike cools down when I let off the throttle and let it return to idle. Same with the red hot headers...as soon as I let off the throttle they cool down (at least to the point of not redhot.) Seems to maintain a normal idle temp...altough I will say when I was doing this it was about 10 degrees out..that prob helped with the cooling even though the bike wasnt moving.

I figure without any air flow.....warm or or cool that the bike would get hot at anything but idle but Ive never seen headers glow before. I know in the machine shop when metal gets glowing it becomes extremely brittle and that is my concern...at those temps a pebble could crack those headers.

My other thought was maybe with the HTEV wired in the midrange position the hot air from combustion cant get out quick enough at 8-12 grand causing some serious heat....

So basically stop playing with the bike without motion to help cool seems to be the consensus. But if it is running lean...moving or not..... what would the next step be?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Red hot headers under full throttle isn't totally uncommon even when moving. There should be lots of vids on Youtube of glowing headers.
And it doesn't make them brittle unless you then spray water over them :)
Even then, I'm not familiar with titanium to know what happens to it.
If it's lean (and I doubt it is) then you'd have to richen it up.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Regarding heat, I've actually seen a melted carbon muffler although I can't recall what caused it. I think it crashed and sat revving at full noise until the engine finally exploded.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well it suddenly became lean possibly because its getting a ton more air now...Flapper is gone...HTEV is wide open.....??????????
So, put OEM filter in and change plugs? Why would steel plugs or iridium make a diff? The plugs are brand new...I do have a set of steel NGK plugs too.......
Couldnt it just be like Blade suggested......no motion to help cool?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
possible on the motion, but also until you get the PCIII, put the stock filter back on to restrict the air flow a little, iridium plugs are fine, flapper removed and htev wired open is fine too

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I don't believe it's become lean at all.
It's simply running hot and the hotter it gets the hotter it gets - if you see what I mean.
The flapper and HTEV won't alter the fueling, at least not enough to cause a lean condition.
Same with the plugs unless you've changed their heat range from standard.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like blades comment...only because it means not doing anyhting else right now :) Ive had this tank on and off at least a dozen times in the last few months.

But back to the filter issue. Now that I look at the filter I dont know if its a K&N or not. It doesnt say K&N anywhere but it is a dark red color with black housing.....I always assume that that is K&N. what color are the factory filters? If this one is OEM I dont want to replace it. Ive google oem filter but the only images that come up are stupid K&N ones.....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
K I lifted the tank and took out the air filter. It is OEM....(honda embeded in the plastic.) So at this point I see no reason why it would be running lean. Im with Blade on this one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts