Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I'm new to this site and I just bought a project 94 900RR with a 98 engine in it. The problem is that the clutch lifter pin was frozen in the transmission mainshaft. I have tried heating the mainshaft and prying hard on it and I can't get it to budge. Do you think I could safely hand drill the pin out of the mainshaft? If I mar up the inside of the mainshaft during the drilling process, do you think it will affect future clutch operation? Here is a pic (sorry for the size), I had to cut off the end of the pin to get the big clutch nut off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
maybe leave some penatrating fluid on it over night and then heat the shaft not the bolt evenly untill its glowing red and clamp some vice grips on it and try that may work

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
cwr954 said:
maybe leave some penatrating fluid on it over night and then heat the shaft not the bolt evenly untill its glowing red and clamp some vice grips on it and try that may work
I'd be careful with that much heat, might mess up the material properties of the shaft, which is more than likely hardened. If the bluing I see on the shaft is from the heating you've already done, you might have already ruined any heat treat Honda did.

Are you familiar with a slide hammer? I would try one of those.

I've never messed with that thing, so I don't have a good idea of how to help you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
looks more like grabbing it with pliers and your right it probably is hardened so maybe the best bet is to bring it to a machine shop to remove it before it gets any worst

1 - 5 of 5 Posts