Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 CBR929RR has a Michelin Pilot Sport tire mounted on the rear. The size is 200/50. The bike had 35,000km on it when I bought it 2 years ago and I have put on 10,000km. The front brakes work perfectly. My question is about the rear. It is such that I don't think I could lock it up if I tried. Is this unusual? Is it engineered that way on purpose in order to avoid a "high-side"? The tire is actually one size larger than Honda recommends. Could that be compromising the the rear brake performance? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Usually they are to hard not to lock. I only use mine if I 'go agg' with it (which I hope is a LONG time to the next occurance) or to hold it in place at a stoplight. That said I have heard of people letting air in the line on purpose to make the back harder to lock. The tire should have no effect.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
the piston can seize, and the caliper slides on a pin - this also gets gummed up with road muck and seizes. strip the whole thing down, clean and re-assemble, bleed, and so on....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Specifically designed to be week to avoid highsides.

On the track I never even touch the rear brake. Possibly if the bike starts to cross up under heavy braking. Then a touch of rear brake keeps the bike straight.

Under hard braking you can lock up the rear brake with your pinky toe there is so little weight on the rear tire.

Use the rear brake for holding your self in place at lights and keeping wheelies from going over.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
unless the rear wheel is in the air the rear brake is still a brake and will slow you down - good enough for Rossi its good enough for me!

I know a lot of people say they don't bother using it, and guys I ride with say the same so its only my opinion, but its mine and I'll stick to it!! :)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Your rear brake should lock quite easily if needed. If yours won't lock because of too much pedal travel then you probably have air in the system and/or low on fluid. If it won't lock and you have good pedal height, try installing new pads. They may have become contaminated over time or glazed. Be sure the rear wheel spins freely when released to be sure the caliper is not seized like machinehead said. I don't believe it's engineered that way because every bike I've owned has been able to lock up the rear easily except my Blackbird because it had linked brakes. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I can lock my rear with a mere flick of the toe, okay a little more than that but I have to take it pretty easy on it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i only use my rear brake in town or gently before a tight corner if it is slippy ,but if i pressed it firmly it would lock the back wheel with ease:hmm:

·
Registered
21 Posts
your brake pads are glazed over.

replace your pads
flush your fluid out with new fluid
and clean all the parts and rotor off with brake cleaner.
might as well install a steal line right away and you will have some good braking power again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts