Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake is weak as hell. How is everyone else's? I've read a couple of posts that stated that the rear brake is not very strong but how weak are we talking? I doubt that mine could even lock the rear wheel if pressed hard. It's not that I use the brake very often but I rode a 919 last night and the rear brake on it could acutally be used to stop the bike if needed.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
It should lock the rear wheel if it's working properly. Mine could even with a narrow rotor.

Have you ever bled the brake? Changed the fluid?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
luvtolean : It should lock the rear wheel if it's working properly.  Mine could even with a narrow rotor.

Have you ever bled the brake?  Changed the fluid?
your rear brake will become less powerful over time if you dont use it often. You can strengthen it back up by using it to decellerate on an empty road from 60 or so down to a stop. You may have to pump it quite hard at first. Dont try to lock it up, just stop moderatley.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
luvtolean : It should lock the rear wheel if it's working properly.  Mine could even with a narrow rotor.

No, I've never blead it or changed the fluid. I just don't remember it ever having much bite so I just figured that was how it should be. I guess I'll bleed it this weekend and see if that helps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
figment : Quote (luvtolean @ Oct. 29 2003, 10:47am)It should lock the rear wheel if it's working properly.  Mine could even with a narrow rotor.

your rear brake will become less powerful over time if you dont use it often. You can strengthen it back up by using it to decellerate on an empty road from 60 or so down to a stop. You may have to pump it quite hard at first. Dont try to lock it up, just stop moderatley.
Interesting.. I've never heard that before. I'll see if that improves the braking before I bleed it and post a report.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Mine's been bled and I have a SS line on it, but I think it's weak also. Plus, the angle of the lever due to the rearsets makes it hard to activate it as well. I'll have to try the 'using it' method to see if that helps. Used alone, it barely does anything.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The rear brakes on these bikes are designed to be weak. Under hard braking it's routine to have 90% of the weight on the front wheel, and locking up the rear wheel only leads to problems. Bottom line, you want your rear brake to be weak - Honda designed it that way.

There's certainly nothing wrong with bleeding it and maintaining the system, but I wouldn't think something's wrong because it's weak.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I know its a small pic but I had my rear rotor 'Swiss cheesed'. Take a look at the avatar. I can still lock it up but it is much less powerful than the front as it should be.
Bob

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Yellar : I'll see if that improves the braking before I bleed it and post a report.
please do. It worked for me. I stopped using the rear altogether for some time and I guess the brake rotor glazed over and needed to be scuffed in again like a new rotor. After I used it to stop me a few times the rear brake (which has a SS line), worked like new again...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments. I guess it really is made to be weak. I'm still going to see if I can stiffen it up some. If anything, it will give me a good excuse to throw on the SS line that has been on the shelve for some time. I'd like to see if I can't get at least a little more bite out of it. I never use it but I'd like it to be at least semi-strong if I need it in an emergency.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Greg, it ain't gonna hurt anything the get that old fluid out of there; I'm sure it's crap by now and should be changed regardless.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm not sure the rear brake worked on my 929. Never used it anyways. The only time I use my rear brake on my 954 is sitting on a slope at a stoplight or when doing a wheelie. Yeah go ahead and flame.
I dont use the rear on my race bike either. I dont see me 'backin it in' any time soon so theres not much use for it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pete : Greg, it ain't gonna hurt anything the get that old fluid out of there; I'm sure it's crap by now and should be changed regardless.
Good point, Pete.

Either that or maybe I should start buying a new bike every year... know what I mean? lol!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Yellar : Either that or maybe I should start buying a new bike every year... know what I mean?
Nah, you are way more sensible than that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
but what i learned for past 15 years of riding...that we should use both brakes at all times.....using only front brake is way too dangerous. I used to have 200cc for 15 years and recently jumped to 919.

Any input guys

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always use both front and rear brakes on my 929 as I was trained in my riding course over 10 years ago. I have to admit, coming from a Yamaha, I found the rear brakes of my 929 real weak, but once I had to use both breaks hard I realized why Honda designed the brakes like they did. Changing the original brake line with a stainless steel line will help with the sponginess of the rear brake which will improve the feel. Changing the fluid also will help. Moisture in the brake fluid changes the boiling point thus increasing brake fade.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
On a sportsbike if you can stop faster using both brakes than you can just using the front then you need to practise more with the front.
For maximum braking you need to get 100% of the weight of you and the bike onto the front tyre to squash it into the road. The more weight you have on it the more difficult it is to lock it up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Glad I spotted this thread , my rear brake locked up whilst doing about 30 mph downhill. Now I'm not used to this as my blackbird had linked brakes. Surely the brakes should not lock at such a slow speed? would the type of tyre contribute to it or is it a common thing with the 929. Since then I.ve been a bit reluctant on the back brake.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts