Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 02 954 my rear caliper is making the rear wheel hard to turn. I have taken the caliper off and the wheel spins freely so I know it has to do with the caliper. I have cleaned the slides and released the pressure in the lines, but nothing seems to work. It seems as if the pad is stuck on the back side of the rotor when it is on. Anyone have any ideas of why this is occuring? Could not using the proper torque specs cause this to happen, or could using loctite prevent the slide from properly moving? The hex bolt slide is harder then normal to tighten, but im not sure if that is normal. I don't know I am at a loss.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Did you just put it together Willy when this first occured or was it fine before and you just noticed a drag? This answer is important. Are your axle spacers in place correctly? Check the image I have attached. If yes, by what you say, the caliper is either seized (unlikely for its age) or binding on the slides I believe. Remove the pads (check for even wear), mount the caliper back in place as normal without them. The caliper should be able to slide freely side to side with room on each side for the pads.
If it does, the caliper may be seized. With a small "C" clamp, try to push the caliper piston back into its bore evenly with one of the pads across the piston to help. Don't push too far but it should move back in effortlessly. Remember the brake fluid is now being pushed back into the res if you have the line connected.
Let us know the results of each one of these tests. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yo denzee the caliper wasn't acting up like this before I took it apart to put a new tire on it. I know I have the spacers in the right place and the right sides. The caliper piston is not seized it moves pretty smooth. I found that the slide was stuck in place by the loctite I put on the bolt so I melted the loctite off and now the slide moves nicely from side to side. I replaced the pads and put everything back together, but the wheel still seems to drag a little when you spin it. It seems a little better, but not where is should be. Do you know about how much resistence should be on the wheel? Plus the brake now seems a little spongey. Could the release valve holes be clogged causing the caliper to not return to its home position properly? Thanks for the reply this caliper is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
There shouldn't be any drag from the caliper.If the pads are binding against the disc your going to overheat them and possably damage the disc as well. You said you released the pressure I take it you mean you let some of the fluid out at the bleed nipple if thats the case that will explain why the lever now feels spongy . I would flush out your old brake fluid and re fill with new and re-bleed the system to remove all the air and this might just solve your problem .

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
This isn't making sense Willy. There should be very little drag like Jester says. If you give the wheel a spin, it should go around at least once I'd think. Since the problem occured only after you had it apart, something you did has caused this. The caliper and piston don't actually have a home because they both position themselves according to brake pad wear. The seal on the piston is designed to retract the piston slightly when the brake pressure is off so there is little drag. Double check spacers and clips behind the brake pads maybe. Good time to exchange the fluid as Jester also said.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Willy, ur spacers are on the wrong side. f you have relieved the pressure from the caliper (open the fluid res, and push the brakepads away from each other) then the only other problem is going to be that ur spacers are on the wrong sides. Switch the spacers and have a safe ride man. Also if the axle bolt is too tight, that will also be a problem, it will be squeezing the swingarm together offsetting the caliper which of course is on the brake disc.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The axle bolt being too tight really can't affect the swingarm rockitt. When it is tightened up, it creats a solid piece from one side of the swingarm to the other, consisting of the spacers, caliper mount, brgs, tube between the hub brgs and the sprocket hub. Proper torque is always important but it shouldn't give Willy the problem he has. I think you're right on with the spacers being mixed up though. I think the proper torque is about 90-100 ft/lbs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I dont think the spacers are flipped. I looked at the exploded picture and I have them right, flat ended spacer sprocket side and normal spacer brake side. I will try and bleed the brakes tomorrow, like Jester suggested, and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bleed the brakes and nothing has changed. Something I noticed that I didn't before is that when you apply the brake the rotor flexes pretty badly. This makes me think tha the axle is not properly aligned, but the thing is I have looked at a million diagrams and the all say I have the proper sides the spacers. Could this possibly be happening because I am missing an inlet tube? or something else within the wheel?

·
Registered
175 Posts
i had a problem like this with my 929 cause i was being stupid,

i dont know if u did the same thing but its worth a try,

make sure the caliper is correctly placed on the rotor, there is a "sweet spot where it kinda clicks/slips in.

it deff sounds like it is the same problem i had

cause i took it off and put it back about 3 times before i finally figured it out

just try movin it around on the rotor a lil and see it that will do it

i try:huh:

·
Registered
230 Posts
i had a problem like this with my 929 cause i was being stupid,

i dont know if u did the same thing but its worth a try,

make sure the caliper is correctly placed on the rotor, there is a "sweet spot where it kinda clicks/slips in.

it deff sounds like it is the same problem i had

cause i took it off and put it back about 3 times before i finally figured it out

just try movin it around on the rotor a lil and see it that will do it

you lost me with " sweet spot where it kinda clicks/slips in " the caliper either fits over the disc or it doesn't ,the disc is flat round and the caliper stays bolted in place so as soon as you turn the wheel you must lose this "sweet spot" or am I missing somthing here ??

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bleed the brakes and nothing has changed. Something I noticed that I didn't before is that when you apply the brake the rotor flexes pretty badly. This makes me think tha the axle is not properly aligned, but the thing is I have looked at a million diagrams and the all say I have the proper sides the spacers. Could this possibly be happening because I am missing an inlet tube? or something else within the wheel?
The disc should not flex at all like what you describe,but I think you have solved the problem yourself " axle is not properly aligned ", .It's begining to sound as if your wheel is not aligned in the swing arm,check your axle against the adjuster marks on the swing arm they have to match both sides or your wheel will be twisted to one side as well as the disc and this will cause your disc to bind in the caliper causing the problems you have .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not that the adjuster marks match up. Is there something else that could have falled out of the wheel when it was off like a inlet tube or something along those lines, other then the spacers, that could be causing this problem?

·
Registered
230 Posts
You should have a spacer tube running inside the hub between the bearings if it's been left out you could over tighten the axle and crush the bearings making the wheel feel hard to turn by hand but this dosent sound like the problem you have.I think you need to take the wheel off and start again checking you have all the spacers including the inner one in place and also check the condition of the bearings to make sure one or both haven't been damaged . If you still get no luck let me know and i'll drop the wheel on mine when i get a chance and see if i can work it out that way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks man I appreciate the help. Do you have a an exploded diagram of the rear axle? where is the inter spacer located?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thanks man I appreciate the help. Do you have a an exploded diagram of the rear axle? where is the inter spacer located?
Unless you had the main hub wheel bearings out Willy, you can't remove in inner spacer tube. Did you mount your caliper as I suggested earlier without the brake pads in it? This will allow you to check several things. Caliper squareness, sliders and most of all the space on each side for the pads. In particular, the inner one. I still think it's a spacer issue. Have you checked for the spacer between your sprocket hub and main hub also? There are 3 spacers that come off when doing tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I removed the wheel again and I have all the spacers in the right places. Have you ever heard of that caliper bracket bending? Perhaps that is causing the problem? I was taking a closer look at the bending rotor when you apply the brakes and in fact it isn't the rotor flexing it looks like to me the caliper bracket is bending. Do you know anyway to check for warpage of this bracket or warpage od the rotor?

·
Registered
175 Posts
about the spot on the rotor, its a little hard to describe....

i know u all think im crazy now but (god it would help id i had 1 to look at right now) the caliper has some play as far as where on the rotor it sits, it sounds weird i know but there is a spot where it fits with no friction.

my cousin who was there as well was stumped to find out that that is what it was, and he went to school for that **** hes got a degree or whatever u get from tech school

so i know im not to crazy..... it could be wrong asembly or it could be a quick hit of a mallet... i had to knock mine a little cloer towards the motor.

let us know what it ended up being.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts