Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to find out if for long term support (days, perhaps a couple of weeks) it is better to use stand + bobbin or stand that directly lifts the swing-arm:confused:
any suggestions, experience or does & don'ts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I personally don't think it matters.

I use the bobbins that have high grade bolts and axle sliders built in, but either would be good. My bikes sit on front(head style) and rear stands all the time that they're not being ridden.

I'm considering changing out my stock chain adjusters for Gilles Tooling adjusters with built in sliders and MotoGP style paddock stand hooks, but that would be most for looks, with only a small (in my opinion) functional difference.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I like to use bobbin type, as i found the other type that fit under swing arm, can mark/scratch the swing arm if your not carefull, and it never feels as secure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok, this is going to sound dumb, but why use the stand at all? Why not just the kickstand? Granted where I live, it rarely gets so cold that I have to park the bikes for more than a couple of days, but I can't see the benefit of the stands other than for maintenance.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I like to use bobbin type, as i found the other type that fit under swing arm, can mark/scratch the swing arm if your not carefull, and it never feels as secure.
I'm not sure, I think using the bobbin type is far quicker (and at times easier) although I seem to think the original type is safer :idunno: Maybe its just me?

Ok, this is going to sound dumb, but why use the stand at all? Why not just the kickstand? Granted where I live, it rarely gets so cold that I have to park the bikes for more than a couple of days, but I can't see the benefit of the stands other than for maintenance.
Purely for maintenance and when the bike isn't being ridden for a period of time. If you leave a bike in one position for a lenthy period of time (on the floor), your tyres can get affected.

Also it means you have more space in your garage as they're all standing up (as opposed to being on the kick stand and leaning side ways)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have an Abba system which is great but not always my 1st option because of space restrictions.

Florida, how nice :) for us mortals who live in the land of wind & rain, I find a couple of reasons for leaving the rear on a stand:

-laziness: when I finished lubricating the chain:O
-with so much condensation I experience (specially this time of the year), I tend to give the wheel a spin every time I am in the garage to stop the chain getting stiff in one position (makes me feel better if nothing else)

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have an Abba system which is great but not always my 1st option because of space restrictions.

Florida, how nice :) for us mortals who live in the land of wind & rain, I find a couple of reasons for leaving the rear on a stand:

-laziness: when I finished lubricating the chain:O
-with so much condensation I experience (specially this time of the year), I tend to give the wheel a spin every time I am in the garage to stop the chain getting stiff in one position (makes me feel better if nothing else)
I've got three stands, one Motrax and the two others are non branded.

The Hornet and the Blade are up on stands at the moment as they are currently off the road - the VFR has a centre stand (but also has a SSSA so I would need to get a special stand if I was to use one for it).

It just means I don't have to keep rolling her forward to lube the chain and also helps when washing her.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I use an ordinary stand, and the cups are rubber coated so not worried by scratches. Feels as secure but seeing as its got the off-set swinging arm it doesn't sit truely upright anyway - need a different cup on one side to level it up

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
One since down in a groove on the stand the other sits on the stand and depends on friction. To me that makes the bobbin a no brainer for long term storage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts