Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what methods are used to support the rear end when changing out the shock? obviously, i can't use a rearstand, as i want to unload the suspension. I bought a cold rolled steel rod to slide through the rear swingarm pivot point, the slid a jack stand underneath both ends. when i lowered the bike onto the rod, it bowed, but held. is this recommended? am i better off putting a jack under the oilpan and lifting it that way? i think that makes my sweat more than the previous method.

any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Your way is fine. That's exactly how I supported my 954 when changing the shock and how I plan to do the one on my 600RR. Yeah the rod bowed a touch, but it held steady with no issues.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
if your garage has open rafters we used straps to hold the bike the seat rails the removed the rear wheel stand, leaving the rear completely suspended with about an inch of drop.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Or, if you have aftermarket rearsets, the kind that don't fold up, you can place jack stands under the pegs. I slid a bar through my subframe, but it isn't covered completely in plastic like your 954. What you're doing should be fine.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Your way works.

I took off the lower and put jackstands under the engine cases on either side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replys everyone. Tomorrow the forks get reinstalled. Just had an Ohlins valve kit installed, with springs and new oil and seals. Then, it's on to the shock.

Is it a good idea to remove the rear wheel also before i start?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts