Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tried to remove my rear shock last night and I just could not manage to get all the bottom 3 bolts out as recommended in the manual. Are they ususally that stiff?

Also do I have to remove all 3 bolts is it possible to replace the shock by simply removing the top and bottom bolts and then wriggling the shock out between the subframe and swingarm or does it only come in and out from the bottom?

Before anyone asks the bike was suspended from the swingarm pivot so there was no load on the rear suspension.

tia
sam

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
The bolts shouldn't be THAT hard to remove. Try spraying some penetrating oil on them and let it soak for awhile. You probably should remove all three to make removal and installation of the shock easier, plus you want to throw some grease on the bearings, too.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
You may need to actually lift the rear wheel to take the tension off 2 of the bolts. Suspending it allows you to take the load off the shock, but the linkage requires both positive and negative loading to get the bolts out. I use a piece of 2" by 4" to slide under the wheel to unload the linkage.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I find it easier w/ the rear wheel removed, more room to work and you can easily lift the swingarm up and down to slip the shock out. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove and replace the wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts