Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is there anything I need to be aware of that is skirted in the service manual?

Does one need to remove the rear brake switch bracket to take off the shock? The manual says to, but you know how that goes.

Once I get the shock bottom bolts and mounting plates off will the rear wheel drop like a rock? Might it be a good idea to set something under the rear wheel so it doesn't drop as far?

Any extra info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Bushrod

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
is this such a stupid question that nobody is talking to me?

do I smell bad? Shite, folks, I shower once a munth whether I need it or not.

Bishrod...

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I didn't need to remove the brake, exhaust, or anything else. I did put some blocks of wood under the rear wheel, because, as you stated, it will drop down. It'll only drop as far as the swingarm will pivot, but I didn't want to put that kind of pressure on the swingarm. It would be good if you could get someone to help you..it'll make it much easier. Unbolt the bottom first, removing the triangle shaped plate from the bottom of the shock and the dogbone. Then unbolt the top. To remove it, have someone lift the swingarm UP as much as possible, and pull the shock out through the bottom. The first bike we did we left the swingarm down and really struggled. Lifting it up as much as possible will give you enough room to lower the shock down and out. Put the new one in the same way...lift the swingarm up and put it in from the bottom up. Bolt it in at the top, then bolt the bottom dogbone/plates back. Have fun!

P.S. You can't jack up the rear with a rearstand, as the swingarm needs to be free. Either suspend it with a pole through the subframe resting on sawhorses, or (if you have rigid, non-folding rearset footpegs, you can put jackstands under the footpegs.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I recall that ER had a nice write-up when he did his 929. Maybe he'll chime in and post it for you. I believe it was in the knowledge base but that's MIA at this point.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I followed someone's suggestion here and used a rod (1/2' dia.?) through the swingarm pivots and suspended the bike from the rafters in my garage. Remove the bolts to the triangular plates, dogbone, and top of shock and it should come out pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
BushrodW : So is there anything I need to be aware of that is skirted in the service manual?

Does one need to remove the rear brake switch bracket to take off the shock? The manual says to, but you know how that goes.

Once I get the shock bottom bolts and mounting plates off will the rear wheel drop like a rock? Might it be a good idea to set something under the rear wheel so it doesn't drop as far?

Any extra info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Bushrod
If the old forum still exists then perhaps Conq can provide a link because I can't find it. I had a write-up there that would have answered your questions.

To answer them specifically:

- I didn't have to touch the rear-brake or any part of it.

- Once you disconnect the shock from the swingarm (by the bottom three bolts), the wheel will sag. You need a certain amount of sag in order to work the old shock out and the new one in. I had my brother hang on to the wheel as I loosened those bolts just to make sure I didn't get a finger pinched.

- Have a partner. I'm not sure how you can do it by yourself as you need someone to counter-torque the bolts as you're loosening them (especially the top one). Otherwise they just turn as you turn. Also, it helps to have a second pair of hands to steady the wheel/swing-arm as you have your hands around the shock.

- I followed Hondagal's advice and used a crowbar underneath the subframe of the real-cowl (where the rear-passenger pegs go) to life the rear while allowing the wheel to hang. Specifally, I used a jack to lift the bike and then a crowbar and two sawhorses to hold the bike up.

Hope this helps...feel free to PM with more questions.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I use some jack stands under the peg mounts and removed the rear wheel so the swingarm is easier to move up & down as needed to get the shock out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've used the 'ol sawhorse arrangement...

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Slipkid : I've used the 'ol sawhorse arrangement...
I do hope your bike was stripped down that much for reasons other than just removing the shock?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm currently trying to figure a good way to attach an Arctic Cat snowmobile track to the back for winter usage... Actually, I'd just powdercoated the frame

·
Registered
77 Posts
I took off the rear wheel, just so the swingarm is easier to handle and there is less crap in your way.
Like someone else posted, a 1/2 dia steel rod thru the swingarm pivot and supporting that with jack stands works wonders (Home Depot for less than $5)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts