Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

rear suspension help

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Cliff 
#1 ·
Mid corner my rear suspension feels unstable. It feels like it compresses (sp) then rebounds a little. Not like it's spinning up, just unsettled. This doesn't happen all the time, but enough to bug me. Here is all the vital stat's preload 2, compression 1 turn from soft, rebound full soft. I weigh 200 lbs. Tires are Mich PS, warmed up. If there is any info I forgot let me know. Thanks

#6 ·
half : After I enter the corner the rear feels like it unloads the suspension a little. It will rebound a little then compress then reound etc. etc. I don't know exactly how to explain it. Thanks for the reply
back and forth like that? Sounds underdamped...

Add a little rebound and ride... if it still does it, does it seem to 'bounce' more coming up or going down? depending on which, add some to compression or rebound.

#7 ·
good point willi, it feels solid going into the corner. Then it feels like the rear falls away (almost like it's losing traction). So I guess it bounces going down? That would be lack of rebound? right? Thanks for the help everyone.

#8 ·
If it 'wallows' (what I believe you are describing), it sounds like you need less rebound and possibly a bit (like 1/2 turn) more compression. Although your description is somewhat confusing, it sounds like it's compressing fast and then slowly expanding rather than reacting to the surface changes mid corner. Have you set the sag correctly?

#10 ·
If you have sag set right, then wallowing is damping related...

Is this at the track?  How is tire wear then?  Is this the stock shock (I think it was)?

EDIT: When it feels 'unsettled' is this when you are under power? Before or after the apex?

#11 ·
willi,
on the highway

That's one thing that bugs me, I haven't even made it to the edge of the tire. Still about 1/4 in. chicken strip left.

Stock shock

edit: after apex, not really under power. Just trying to maintain my line and speed.

#12 ·
The reason i ask about tire wear is when you are riding at the track, improper suspension tuning can really eat through a set of tires...

One thing to note, you may never get the stock shock to do anything you want it to do. The range of adjustment on the shock is very narrow and may not even be in the range you need it to be in anyway... YOu may not be able to dial all the rebound out that you need and the low speed compression might be okay but the high speed (which you can't adjust) will still make it plenty harsh to rattle your teeth. Lets not even start with the stock front forks...

#13 ·
I got to ride yesterday a little, and tried all your suggestions. Added compression and it helped. I'm sure I need aftermarket components, but as the closest track is 350 miles away I doubt if I go that far. I can already go too fast for the highway. Thanks for all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.