Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,just bought an 03 954 the other day,in need of rear tyre.would a 180/55 fit without causing any handling/steering difficulties?cheers

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi all,just bought an 03 954 the other day,in need of rear tyre.would a 180/55 fit without causing any handling/steering difficulties?cheers
Works just fine, many actually prefer them over the 190/50.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It will turn in much easier. i prefered the 180 on my 954.
Might be just me but i do think the 180 wears a little bit quicker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My next rear tire will be a 190/55. That will give the cornering of a 180 with the straight line traction of a 190. Should be an excellent all around tire. Also, if ya have the tiny bit of extra cash, go for a dual compound. If you are unfamiliar with a dual compound tire...they have softer rubber on the edges for improved cornering with a standard/harder rubber down the center of the tire for better straight line wear. Michelin Pilot Power series has several different dual compound tires with a diagram to show compound surface area on tire. While Michelin may not be the ultimate 'top-of-the-line' tire, they are a great tire at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
170 Posts
my bike came with the 180/55 on it, and all the replacements i have done have been 180...i am gonna try out a 190/55 this spring and see how that works. Bigger tires look better too:) The 929/954 were known for the quick turn-in anywayz, so i dont know why anyone would want to step down on the rear to make it turn in faster...I think it might be a little too snappy, so i am gonna move on up to the beast size. Is the overall tire circumference any different from 180/55 190/50 and 190/55? Just wondering if it has any "gearing" effect

·
Registered
85 Posts
ya, i'm kind of scratching my head a bit on this... after getting my new tires on and being able to spend a bit of time on my 954 i find it changes directions quicker than my R6...

·
Registered
240 Posts
From what I'm told, the carcass is the same on the Power Pure and the Pilot Power 2ct. The compounds are as well, but the edge compound on the Pure extends much farther

2ct:
shhhhhhhhs
pure:
ssshhhhsss

s = soft compound h = hard compound

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just got a pure on the rear of mine today hope to go for aride tomorrow to try it out. As long as it dosen't rain that is!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts