Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right. A lot of people ask if I have a 900. And others ask if I have a 1000. These are people that don't know much about bikes so I normally just tell them yes. So, my question is, what is up with the weird sizes of the 929 and 954? It seems that they wouldn't be able to compete in a 900 class, yet if they were for the 1000 class, they would be closer to 1000.

So what gives? Is this just a street thing kind of like the 636? I don't understand how it would be with the other manufactures making 1000cc bikes while Honda was putting these out? What was the theory. I need a good answer to give people.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Honda didn't feel it was necessary to build a 998cc engine, and the chassis they would then have to build around it.
The whole "Baba" approach to the Fireblad line was "light makes right". His opinion was that he'd rather not build a heavier, stouter frame to cope with a larger displacement engine. Same thing with ram air. He never felt the bike needed it.
It worked very well for many years, then it bit Honda in the ass when the others finally caught and passed the "Big CBR".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts