Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 CBR 900rr fireblade
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all hello, I'm new to the community. Just recently bought a '96 900rr fireblade that was knocking but came with a parts bike with motor. So I was traveling at about 80 mph on i20 when the number 3 cylinder decided to create a viewing window as it escaped onto the freeway. So I spent 5 days rebuilding the motor with the parts and block and casing from the parts bike. Now it spins over but will now start up. Doesn't even seem to try. I've tested and have power to all 4 plugs I've tried starter fluid with zero affects. I'm currently unemployed and can't afford to feed the fuel consumption on my f150 to go look for a job let alone afford to make it to a check with fuel prices so high. So the sooner I can get back on my bike the sooner I can get a job and actually have money to throw at the bike. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Would have thought it should have fired with the starter fluid , so there cant be a spark , have you tested for a spark with the plug out and up against the block and turn the engine over. Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
96 CBR 900rr fireblade
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would have thought it should have fired with the starter fluid , so there cant be a spark , have you tested for a spark with the plug out and up against the block and turn the engine over. Welcome to the forum
Thanks for the response. I actually havent. I have an inline plug tester and I only pulled the wire and left the plug in the block and tested them that way. The plugs are new but I'll definitely take them out and see.

·
Registered
96 CBR 900rr fireblade
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you see the Workshop Manual I sent to your PM Check it out (y)
Yes sir I sure did. I actually have one already. I pulled 2 plugs and I am getting spark but I guess I'm not getting fuel but also I've sprayed starter fluid and have not gotten any detonation whatsoever. I even just tried to push start it with no luck either. I'm sick to my stomach worrying over this and I have no money to pay a mechanic and the only chance to find myself a job and to afford to commute depends on this and the pressure is really taking its toll at this point. I can't take a break from it but I'm now on day 2 of no sleep trying everything I know to do with little to no forward progress. Again, ropp, I thank you sincerely, for your time and insight. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just to try again, could be that the plugs are wet through with fluid , try taking all the plugs out and spin the engine over for about 5 seconds just to try and clear the cylinders, then pop the plugs back in , be sparing with the starter fluid and see if it will catch

·
Registered
96 CBR 900rr fireblade
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to try again, could be that the plugs are wet through with fluid , try taking all the plugs out and spin the engine over for about 5 seconds just to try and clear the cylinders, then pop the plugs back in , be sparing with the starter fluid and see if it will catch
Okay I'll definitely try that because other than that the only other thing I can think is Maybe the valve shims aren't correct and are not allowing the valves to open to introduce the fuel to the fire but I would much rather pull the plugs and cycle through a few times and hopes is something kicks off

·
Registered
96 CBR 900rr fireblade
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are all the timing marks in place
Yes sir they are. I actually had to tear the motor down a second time bc it was just a tooth off before so I was a little anal when doing it the second time to ensure that it was. Ive never dealt with valve shims or these types of motors before. The only experience I have at all is I've been a diesel mechanic for 17 years but I'm used to working on 40 ton articulated trucks dozers and excavators. And power plants the size of a mobile home. So it's been a learning process and since it's needed so badly it really adds a level of frustration. Not to mention that I despise working on anything that I own. It seems that everything goes wrong when I do. I can work on anything that I don't own flawlessly without error. But you can bet the farm that as soon as I try to repair\service or even maintain anything I own newton's law is in strong affect.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I know the feeling matey , and I apologise for being to obvious but had I known your background that wouldn't have been the case, anyhow forward we go, the electrics on these bikes (at a certain age) is dubious, wiring is the biggest problem with brittle wires and earth's, but with wind and fuel you'd have thought we would have a bang, what are the carb's like. Just another thought , could be a weak spark , is battery fully charged , ignition coils OK?

Attachments

·
Registered
96 CBR 900rr fireblade
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know the feeling matey , and I apologise for being to obvious but had I known your background that wouldn't have been the case, anyhow forward we go, the electrics on these bikes (at a certain age) is dubious, wiring is the biggest problem with brittle wires and earth's, but with wind and fuel you'd have thought we would have a bang, what are the carb's like. Just another thought , could be a weak spark , is battery fully charged , ignition coils OK?
Battery is good i actually have two batteries. One that I have charging as I troubleshoot with the other and then I'll swap them as it drains. Coils seem to be fine however it could be a weak spark. My inline tester showed a very dim flashing as it pulsed but I'm not sure if that is normal with these bikes or not. Also I have noticed that the previous owner has bypassed the side stand switch so the 2 green wires are twisted together and the yellow is not attached to anything.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeh you need a good blue spark, always easiest to remove the spark plug and lay it against the block to see, have you swapped coils with the other bike to see, sidestand is byassed with those 2 wires , was it a track bike previously or did he just have a problem , I wouldn't leave it like that myself though

·
Registered
96 CBR 900rr fireblade
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeh you need a good blue spark, always easiest to remove the spark plug and lay it against the block to see, have you swapped coils with the other bike to see, sidestand is byassed with those 2 wires , was it a track bike previously or did he just have a problem , I wouldn't leave it like that myself though
He was a professional half asser is what it is. The whole bike is zip tied and and bailing wired together. I paid $500 USD it and a parts bike. The coils were on this bike already it was running great up until the #3 cylinder went rouge so I don't see the coils being the problem. The plugs are dry as a bone too so fuel is not getting to the cylinder from what I can tell. Not at all which is why the starter fluid had no affect. Now I've got to figure out why

·
Registered
162 Posts
Morning , is there any fuel in the Tank, and is there any in the Carb Bowls , you could try unscrewing the drain screw on the carb bowls to find out , if there isn't any see if the vacuum pipe from the carb to the Petcock is in place , wouldnt take the carbs off ( their a bugger to get back on)

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the bowls are dry, I think @ropp could be right: The vacuum line between one of the cylinders and the petcock. You need this to get fuel flowing. A lot of time the petcock could be marginal. The filter inside falls apart and blocks itself up.

Also, check all electrical connection, resistance of coils and ignition pickup against their stock values.

Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts