Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I have a 1989 CBR400 K model and seem to have an on going electrical problem with my bike,the story goes like this: I had (what I think to be an original) rectifier on my bike and eventually it popped to the extent that my plug connecting to it had to be cut off as it melted,then I replaced the rectifier with an aftermarket(I think universal) one and just connected my wires with connectors on to the rectifier.:D

Since then I have had to replace 2 of them as after a while my main fuse on the starter solenoid starts to blow as soon as I put my ignition on,the guys at the bike shops tell me that the rectifiers (aftermarket ones) work on both the NC23 and the NC29, I have my doubts and am unsure as I looked on E bay and the same story they seem to be universal??:confused:

I also had mt stator tested in case it needs to be rewound and the guy said no its fie,so I don't know why my rectifier keeps on blowing???:crap:

Any ideas or suggestions as to what I should look for?

My next dilemma with regards to my oil, is that(OK i have put to much oil in to the motor but that's why I have a breather pipe isn't it?):idunno: these is a bit of oil leaking (not in a drop form just vapor like) by the screw cap where you top up the oil by the dipstick and according to my one friend(from his car experience) it means my rings are going??:woowoo:

The o-ring around the dipstick screw looks fine, any ideas what may be causing this??

Regards and HELP!!!:pray:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi everyone
I have a 1989 CBR400 K model and seem to have an on going electrical problem with my bike,the story goes like this: I had (what I think to be an original) rectifier on my bike and eventually it popped to the extent that my plug connecting to it had to be cut off as it melted,then I replaced the rectifier with an aftermarket(I think universal) one and just connected my wires with connectors on to the rectifier.:D

Since then I have had to replace 2 of them as after a while my main fuse on the starter solenoid starts to blow as soon as I put my ignition on,the guys at the bike shops tell me that the rectifiers (aftermarket ones) work on both the NC23 and the NC29, I have my doubts and am unsure as I looked on E bay and the same story they seem to be universal??:confused:

I also had mt stator tested in case it needs to be rewound and the guy said no its fie,so I don't know why my rectifier keeps on blowing???:crap:

Any ideas or suggestions as to what I should look for?

My next dilemma with regards to my oil, is that(OK i have put to much oil in to the motor but that's why I have a breather pipe isn't it?):idunno: these is a bit of oil leaking (not in a drop form just vapor like) by the screw cap where you top up the oil by the dipstick and according to my one friend(from his car experience) it means my rings are going??:woowoo:

The o-ring around the dipstick screw looks fine, any ideas what may be causing this??

Regards and HELP!!!:pray:

Have you done the tests of the charging system?

Drain the extra oil out of the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when the rectifier was good it was charging ok around 13V but at a stage before then it was charging around 14V>>what should the recommended charging be? and also could it be that I have to much oil in my motor that its coming out by the dipstick?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
when the rectifier was good it was charging ok around 13V but at a stage before then it was charging around 14V>>what should the recommended charging be? and also could it be that I have to much oil in my motor that its coming out by the dipstick?

Between 14V and 15V at 3000rpm.
Yes, too much oil is not good for the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts