Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, the bike started to cough violently when I opened the throttle fully at low revs, took it home, battery died, wouldn't start again. Charged battery, same thing happened. Checked reg/rec, had blown up. Took much bigger 7 wire reg/rec from SV650 (although it was a Honda model), wired it up to the bike, job's a goodun.

On way home from work, I try the opening throttle thing again and it coughs majorly (on the way to work it didn't do this), battery again died. Showing 11.8 volts across the battery and it drops to 3 when I try to crank it. Reg/rec not blown.

What do you guys think? I soldered the new r/r in to reduce chances of connector coming loose, and no wires are burnt or anything like they do when it goes normally. All I can think is that the stator is trying to send too much power to the battery- or perhaps when the r/r went before, it took the battery with it. Will charge a spare and see if that fixes it.

Conrad - thanks in advance guys, you're all awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right- I checked for a leak- no leakage whatsoever from the negative battery terminal to the negative battery terminal lead, which is good.

Checked the stator coil resistances at the other end of the wire, and I get 0.3 ohms between two of the leads, then 8 ohms when either of the (supposedly good leads) connect to the other terminal.

Hmm.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,034 Posts
The other day, the bike started to cough violently when I opened the throttle fully at low revs, took it home, battery died, wouldn't start again. Charged battery, same thing happened. Checked reg/rec, had blown up. Took much bigger 7 wire reg/rec from SV650 (although it was a Honda model), wired it up to the bike, job's a goodun.

On way home from work, I try the opening throttle thing again and it coughs majorly (on the way to work it didn't do this), battery again died. Showing 11.8 volts across the battery and it drops to 3 when I try to crank it. Reg/rec not blown.

What do you guys think? I soldered the new r/r in to reduce chances of connector coming loose, and no wires are burnt or anything like they do when it goes normally. All I can think is that the stator is trying to send too much power to the battery- or perhaps when the r/r went before, it took the battery with it. Will charge a spare and see if that fixes it.

Conrad - thanks in advance guys, you're all awesome.
Always check the stator first.
The stator doesn't send any power to the battery because it's generating alternating current. It must be "rectified" to direct current before it goes to the battery. The regulator then "regulates" the amount that is delivered to the battery and the harness down to what is required and dumps the excess power as heat through a big aluminium heat sink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. Does anyone know if I can remove the stator without draining the oil? I did it like, 500 miles ago! Is it possible to lean the bike up against something on the other side at all and then do it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,034 Posts
Hmm. Does anyone know if I can remove the stator without draining the oil? I did it like, 500 miles ago! Is it possible to lean the bike up against something on the other side at all and then do it?
Yep.
Put some paper down as you will spill a little.
You don't need to remove it to test it though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Faaaantastic! Thanks dude!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bladeracer again."

You must get that a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing- is it possible to check the state of the reg/rec (as stator now confirmed as horribly, horribly burned) without having to disconnect it? Reason being, I've soldered it in now :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,034 Posts
One more thing- is it possible to check the state of the reg/rec (as stator now confirmed as horribly, horribly burned) without having to disconnect it? Reason being, I've soldered it in now :(

Hmmm...it should still work I would think but I'm no expert on electrics.
Just try it.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top