Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
The editor of New Nation, the newspaper which published Mr Blair's comments, said it was right to acknowledge the wrong and "now we can move on".
I couldn't agree more.
But campaigners Anti-slavery International said they would like to see Mr Blair "going a bit further".
Which means giving them money right? :rolleyes:

Slavery is an awful practice. It is very unfortunate it continues to this day.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
.. About time, I'd say! Still beat the Spanish, who took 500 years to get around to apologizing for the Expulsion and Inquisition, in 1992.

I realize Europeans think we haven't apologized to the world and our own citizens for allowing the shameful slavery trade to exist for 75 years after the formation of this country.

Doesn't the death of 700,000 people in a Civil War to eradicate slavery in this country count?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought this might not get much of a response, I suppose it's a touchy subject still, but I was interested in what it seems like seen from the US. Does the UK seem irrelevant on this topic? I suppose Portugal/ Brazil, UK, France, Spain, Morocco, Egypt, and Tanzania are the countries most heavily involved. I don't know if any others have "officially" expressed sorrow or regret. Certainly the Italians have never apologised for slavery in the Roman Empire!

I'm above all curious about the current generation apologising for the sins of our ancestors. Germany did this after WWII, but that was relatively recent, definitely the sins of our fathers. Japan has expressed some regret (the exact words never quite satisfying the Chinese or Koreans) for their brutal management of their invasion in C20th.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm still waiting for some Italian bloke to apolgise to me for ruining my ancestors garden when they built Icknield Street right through the middle of old family farm. My folks were doing really well, nice little business going, next minute a centurion and a bunch of soldiers just chuck them off their land. No compensation, nothing. It's taken my family 60 generations just to get back where we started. Those eyeties owe us big time. :rant:

And don't get me started by talking about the bloody Vikings. Pure Celts we were, then back in 720 AD my great granny got dragged into the bushes by some blond fellow, and ruined our blood line. Look at me, a blond, blue eyed Celt, it's just not right. Bastard Norwegians. Or were they Sewedish, Or Danes. F*ckers.

And if anyone mentions the French, I'll bloody explode. F*cking battle of f*cking Hastings my arse. I'm waiting for an apology from Chirac. Bastard French.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sorry Oldfogey, just ranting but trying to make a point. It's history, gone. We can regret the event but an apology is meaningless unless it is given by the guilty party in person. You can't get someone to do it for you two hundred yeras later.

It is well know that many African tribes sold their enemies and neighbours into slavery. Can you imagine the Nigerians apologising? No, nor me. In fact slavery still exists in parts of Africa. That's okay then.
And the Arab merchants who did their fair share of people trafficking? No, they won't apologise either. This is just a meaningless guilt trip instigatated by the wooly thinking muesli knitting bearded lefties. Complete bollocks.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Oldfogey, just ranting but trying to make a point...This is just a meaningless guilt trip instigatated by the wooly thinking muesli knitting bearded lefties. Complete bollocks.
No, don't hold back Proto, you say what you want, don't worry.

PS I'm a woolly-thinking muesli-eating bearded left-hander, but don't mind me!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Sorry Oldfogey, just ranting but trying to make a point. It's history, gone. We can regret the event but an apology is meaningless unless it is given by the guilty party in person. You can't get someone to do it for you two hundred yeras later.

It is well know that many African tribes sold their enemies and neighbours into slavery. Can you imagine the Nigerians apologising? No, nor me. In fact slavery still exists in parts of Africa. That's okay then.
And the Arab merchants who did their fair share of people trafficking? No, they won't apologise either. This is just a meaningless guilt trip instigatated by the wooly thinking muesli knitting bearded lefties. Complete bollocks.
:rotfl:

:plus1:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'd like to make a formal apology to the Jewish people of the world. The holocaust was a deeply shameful act perpetrated by someone else a long time ago, and for that I offer you my personal and sincerest apology. Sorry.

I bet you feel a whole lot better now that this sorry affair has finally been put to bed.

See, all's right with the world now. Just took one little word and sunshine broke through the clouds. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I think "sorry" is by FAR the most overrated word in the english language.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
CBRVFR;552804...Doesn't the death of 700 said:
No, because the Civil War wasn't directly fought because of slavery. It was fought over state's rights.

:plus1:

At that time, slavery was a fact of life all over the planet. Stronger nations had subjugated weaker nations and enslaved people for thousands of years. Yes, it took a little longer for America to finally give it up and they did take a strange liking for African nations over the indigenous people of North America for some odd reason. But, hey. It's history. We should remember it as a low point in our history, keep it in the back of our minds as a reminder that we should remain humble for we are not all without sin. But we have to move on and an apology from Mr. Blair, Mr. Bush, or any other current world leader isn't going to make life full of roses and pretty perfume. "My bad" doesn't fix anything just like cough syrup doesn't cure a cold.

Besides, slavery was bad but the treatment of those same people after slavery was over was far worse.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
And don't get me started by talking about the bloody Vikings. Pure Celts we were, then back in 720 AD my great granny got dragged into the bushes by some blond fellow, and ruined our blood line. Look at me, a blond, blue eyed Celt, it's just not right. Bastard Norwegians. Or were they Sewedish, Or Danes. F*ckers..

She started it.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
No, because the Civil War wasn't directly fought because of slavery. It was fought over state's rights..
I'd like to make a formal apology to the Jewish people of the world. The holocaust was a deeply shameful act perpetrated by someone else a long time ago, and for that I offer you my personal and sincerest apology. Sorry.
You're right - it doesn't do much good. I guess the best I can hope for is to have to apologize to the progeny of the bastards responsible after I commit the next atrocity in retaliation.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Not to stir the pot ... well, maybe a little :smilebig: ... but a good portion of the slaves that were brought to the US were sold to the white people by the Africans tribes. And I won't mention that a very large percentage of older civilizations (not just the ones mentioned so far) used slave labor.

I really have a difficult time with the expectations for an appology and/or restitution.

Heck, no one gave my family restitution for the lives lost in the industrial revolution time when people were expendable (one gets sucked into the machine ... get another one :thumb: ) for wages that you couldn't live on and had to give back to buy what you needed from the company store. Or the other side that lost most everything they owned including their land to give everyone who worked for them 20 acres ... oh, and those slaves actually lived better and ate better (they were an investment, not disposable bodies) than my family up north. Go figure. :idunno:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts