Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my 00 CBR 929 for a year. It's taken me a while to understand the bike as I am still green, but now I think the bike may need remapping; I am not sure though.

The bike response is good but feels like its holding back a bit on first gear at around 30-40 mph. It doesn't backfire like crazy but I can hear some backfire. It hasn't stopped me from riding the bike, but I'm thinking may be the bike needs remapping. Are my assumptions right that the bike may need remapping? Any ideas? And if it does need remapping how to do go about doing it? I am not a racer but love riding and getting out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lets see if i can help you out here and feel free to corecct me if im wrong!

Couple things come in to factor here you didnt mention. Is this a new problem you are noticing? Did the bike run fine and start to get worse? if so the i would suspect its time to do a full tune up. clean air filter new fuel filter check plugs /wires etc. My vfr was a little luggy and not running very smooth so i changed the fuel filter and it made a big difference.

Typically you should only need to re map if you add after market parts that can affect air flow or exhaust on the bike. (exhaust,air filter, turbo, flapper mod etc.)

If you did want to remap you will need a fuel management unit like a power commander or a bazzaz zfi unit and im sure there are more. Im not sure what would be available for your bike though. They let you change your fuel map via downloaded maps which you can then alter or have a dyno shop make a custom map for you.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a PowerCommander III USB on my 929 and it is really easy to use. Depending on your mods, you can load pre-made maps or make your own, and then flash to the bike over USB. Keep an eye out in the Classifieds forums, you can usually pick one up for about $150.

It sounds like you have something else going on though. I second the ideas that kcdub mentioned before going for a new map.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts