Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Foam does not have to be removed for powdercoating.
Baking temperatures used for powdercoating does not affect it.
Just make sure you seal up your bearings well (rubber bungs) for sand blasting and then replace rubber with wood blanks for powdercoating and baking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You do not have to remove bearings.
As stated in my post I used rubber plugs.
Bought some sink/bath plugs and ran a threaded rod through them with a couple of washers and nuts to seal off the bearings really well for sand blasting.
These plugs then need to be removed for powdercoating because they will melt in the oven.
You need to replace them with wooden blanks to keep powdwercoat out of the bearing area. (you would need to do this anyway even if you removed the bearings)
The reason I went this way is, replacement bearings from the dealer are priced at $200 plus $100 fitting and removing.
A lot posts I've read stated the bearings are quite often damaged removing them.
A couple of mechanics I spoke to said this was right and they would not reuse bearings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GRD, thanks again and for you advise, I have the swing arm at the power coating shop now. I ended up pressing the bearing out and damaged them, I didn't see your post in time. I hope I can find the bearing for a reasonable cost, as $200 seems high.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts