Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Removing Gas Cap on a 929

14K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  victoRR 
#1 ·
How do you do it?

I've removed all the allen screws and nothing. My situation is this:
I lost my keys. Yes, all of them, including a key to my Heritage Softtail Harley.

I've since then bought a new ignition lock (i'd been needing one, mine began to not wanna lock) and a new key. Had the storage compartment lock recoded to my key as well. The only thing I lacked and forgot about, was my gas tank.

I can't have one made by Woods Fun Center (the local dealer). What other options are there? I'd like to remove it to see if a locksmith can help make one for me, but jesus...the damn thing won't come off. Can anyone help me out?

#7 ·
The Vortex is an excellent replacement (what I use). If you have no intentions of getting the lock rekeyed - use a 3/8" bit and drill into the center of the key slot. Place an awl in the hole and strike it hard a few times. You should be able to pull the lockset out of the cap and remove it easily. Upsizing to a larger bit may be required, just DO NOT DRILL THRU THE GAS CAP, as this will deposit metal shavings in your tank - or worse...puncture your tank.

It sounds like you are trying to rekey it, which locksmiths in my area will not do (too much responsibility if the bike is stolen). Why dont you drive the bike to the locksmith and have them rekey it onsite? It seems that would be the easiest alternative for your situation.

#10 ·
If you have to drill clear through the cap then just flip the tank upside down to do it (thus no shavings in the tank).

The other option for getting it to a locksmith is to take the tank off. It is 3 bolts to get the tank off plus a bolt or 2 to disconnect the fuel lines and then one electric connector for the fuel pump. Somehow you are going to have to drill or pick the lock though. I would suggest removing the fuel pump and going from the inside but when the cap is locked the fingers won't budge and release the cap. You are going to have to get the cylinder to turn and unlock the cap to be able to replace it.

#16 ·
Ivo said:
Speaking of locks on gas caps...Why don't they make them like they make them for cars where you just twist it off?

That's where Vortex comes in.

That wasn't funny on the being out of gas thing man.... :nono:
Im gunna have at it with a screwdriver and a hammer. I don't think i've punctured through yet. I tried a few times and the damn thing still doesn't turn. Im gettin aggrivated. It's beyond fixing and gettin a key for it. I'm gunna need a new cap. I just want the f**ker off already. I'm watching not denting the tank...trust me.

If all else fails....I am beating the living hell out of it and buying a used one. Thank god for U.S. tax returns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.