Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It appears to me by looking at the manual, that if the bike was supported with the front wheel suspended, you could change out the fork springs without removing the forks from the bike. simply remove the preload adjuster, lock nut and fork bolt and pull the spring and spring collar out.

I was talking to a bike mechanic today that said that it was not this simple and a spring compressor had to be used because the spring is trapped between the cap assembly and the dampner tube.

Am I reading the manual correctly? can the springs be removed fairly easily with the forks still on the bike? It seems that you could do it by simply pushing the tire upwards after undoing the fork bolt. Do you have to use a spring compressor? I was thinking of putting some aftermarket springs in.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It is possible, but much, much easier to do it off the bike. For the extra 30 mins to drop the forks it's well worth it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's. That link is exactly what I was talking about. It would probably take me more than just 30 minutes with taking off the fender, wheel, brakes and forks. Then putting it all back on. So replacing the springs with the forks on the bike could save me a fair amount of time and work.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
To get the fluid measurement right you should take the forks off.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yea but the forks should be level. also make sure you get the right measurement and wieght. i went up in wieght and was 125 mm from the top of the fork tube fully compressed on my f4i.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i ended up taking the forks off anyway to get the proper measurement but i have heard of people when they suspend the bike like in that website just raising the tail until the fork tubes are level

to measure you need a tool
it is a graduated tube with a hose and a collar
you set the collar to the correct amount of space between the oil and the top insert into a full fork tube and press the plunger
it vacuums the oil out until it reaches the end of the tube

voila perfect measurement
motionpro makes it

·
Registered
117 Posts
The tool you speak of is defidently a time saver, but you don't have to spend a lot to get it. A large syringe with a tube on the end works great, or if you're in a pinch, like I usually am, I just use the pump off a spray bottle.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
THe scary thing is, he's serious, :eek: but it does work rather well and everyone probably has a spray bottle in the house or garage and it is a cheap alternative to fancy tool. :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts