Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I goofed when re-installing the air duct cover on the 929. There is a screw which attaches the air duct cover, at the front, to the fairing, just under the windscreen. I used the wrong screw, a 6mm fairing bolt instead of the 5mm fairing bolt. This bolt screws into a plastic bolt-hole. So I ended up stripping out the plastic threads very easily. Now the correct 5mm bolt goes right through the hole, and the wrong 6mm bolt doesn't hold the air duct cover very securely.

My question: how do I repair this? One option is a heli-coil, which seems an expensive (but good) repair. This bolt doesn't come under any mechanical pressure, really, it just holds down the air duct cover. I was thinking... is there a way to fill the hole with some kind of plastic/epoxy or something, let it dry, and then tap that with a 5mm thread?

Or should I just go helicoil?

Thoughts?

--- D

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If you're talking about screw 29 in the attached pic, it doesn't screw into plastic threads. It screws into metal tab 36 which clips over the mounting hole in the upper fairing. Your clip probably slid off and got caught in your upper or lost on the garage floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I love this forum.

That's exactly what I figured out, subsequent to making my post. Yes, I think I knocked that out by putting in the wrong screw. Maybe it is on my garage floor.... which of course has been swept a couple of times since I did this.

How do I get a replacement for something so small, in the case that I can't find it on the floor? Go to my Honda dealer?

By the way, thanks for this response. It's amazing to have a resource like the members of this forum.

--- D

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I got that microfiche pic from Ronayers.com. You can select the part numbers you want from the fiche and order online there.

edit: or your local Honda dealer

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
or you could try the hardware store for a similar clip that will work. even if yo have to get a bolt to match the clip it could still be cheaper depending on what Honda charges.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Yeah, that tab falls off easily. I stuck mine on with a small piece of black duct tape, so when I remove that cover, those threads stay in place and I'm not searching all over the driveway!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts