Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 300 miles on a new OEM FPR and NGK plugs.

Today after riding for a bit, I revved the motor up to about 9k a few times the bike started running like it was on two or three cylinders.

I am at a loss as too what else it could be, since this is what it did when I bought the bike and assumed replacing those two things would cure the issue.

The bike only has about 6900 miles.

Anything else I should try doing?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I have about 300 miles on a new OEM FPR and NGK plugs.

Today after riding for a bit, I revved the motor up to about 9k a few times the bike started running like it was on two or three cylinders.

I am at a loss as too what else it could be, since this is what it did when I bought the bike and assumed replacing those two things would cure the issue.

The bike only has about 6900 miles.

Anything else I should try doing?

You have checked that the FPR is good though?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We never tested it if it was fine since it was a new OEM part. We are going to do that and see if somehow I got a defective part.

My friend thinks I am burning oil since he thinks it is low on oil compared to the last time he looked at it.

If it is burning oil is it possible to re-ring the bike with out removing the engine?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It also smells like gas in my garage when I turn the bike off and leave it there overnight. And man does it smell just letting it idle.

I wonder if the throttle bodies are bad.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
We never tested it if it was fine since it was a new OEM part. We are going to do that and see if somehow I got a defective part.

My friend thinks I am burning oil since he thinks it is low on oil compared to the last time he looked at it.

If it is burning oil is it possible to re-ring the bike with out removing the engine?

You did replace the oil after you replaced the FPR?
Nope, complete engine tear down to do rings.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
It also smells like gas in my garage when I turn the bike off and leave it there overnight. And man does it smell just letting it idle.

I wonder if the throttle bodies are bad.

If you didn't change the oil then the smell may just be from all the fuel still in the crankcase from the FPR failure, it would also explain the oil usage.
Check the header temps to confirm all four cylinders are working similarly.
What is the fuel mileage like?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The FPR has been tested and it is fine.

I did new oil last week, so I did put 300 miles on the old oil before it started running bad again.

The thing is, the bike even made my garage smell like gas after we did new plugs and an FPR.

My gas mileage was decent for the last tank, I went 130 miles before the fuel light went on.

Now it is terrible, but probably because it was running one two or three cylinders after 300 miles on the new plugs and FPR.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bladeracer, thanks for the input you have given thus far.

Since the FPR tested fine, I am going to put in new plugs and this time change the oil and filter at the same time since there is a possibility that the old oil was thinning out from the last FPR and I happened to drive about 300 miles on that old oil.

The dealer thinks I have a bad o2 sensor and it is causing the bike to run rich. My bikes does not have one since it is a Utah bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, now I have new plugs, a new air filter, changed the oil and filter before starting the bike and have cleaned the exhaust valve thing.

That exhaust valve works so well now you can hear it snap shut. Hope that is ok.

I am thinking that maybe that exhaust valve was stuck open and that is why it was running rich.

Either way, it runs now. Now to see if it stays running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts