Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I laid my bike down a couple of weeks ago and it slid along the road and into some dirt. All the damage was on the left side, including some grinding away of the alternator cover. I couldn't ride her home because there were two small holes in the cover and oil started running out when I started the bike(that's how I noticed the holes).
Anyway I am going to replace it but wanted any tips you guys might have for the replacement and also making sure there is no dirt and possibly metal debris left inside. I've never pulled one off before but am fairly mechanically inclined.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
When I busted mine, I pulled off the drain pan as well, and cleaned it out. Buy a couple of cans of brake cleaner to use to clean out everything. Dont forget a new stator cover and oil pan gasket. Oh, and you'll have to pull off your headers to get the oil pan off I believe, in which case you'll need 4 header gaskets.
Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, that sounds like a job! Did you find much in there when you pulled it off?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Well, I demolished my stator cover due to the rumblestrips at Mid O. I did find some metal shavings in there. It really isnt that hard of a job. All the bodywork was off when I did it and it took about an hour and a half total.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will go ahead and do that just to be safe, even though the holes are small something could still be in there and it wouldn't feel right leaving it alone. I found part #'s for the header gaskets but I can't find a part number for the drain pan gasket!? The parts manual I have doesn't even show one- am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Ron Ayers has the deal on the cover if you want to save some money. It will be hard to pull it off since it's magnetically on there. It will be a pull carefully and firmly but don't pull it so hard that you fly across the garage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's just sealant, that's what the service manual says. Thanks for the info, I already ordered one from Service(but just had to go back and order the exhaust gaskets).

It looks to me like I can pull the pan bolts off without removing the exhaust, is there something in there that prevents me from taking it out if I try it this way?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts