Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So against my better judgement I decided to take the bike to work today in spite of the 23 degree outside temp. I've got all the gear, so what the heck. I pulled the bike out of the garage and fired it up, letting it warm on the driveway before I headed off to the local Shell station to feed the beast.
When I fisrt started it, the reserve light was on and the blinking "04" let me know that I had a little more than half a gallon left. But as it sat there and warmed up, the reserve light went back off. I decided to get fuel anyway because I knew I didn't really have any as the trip now indicated 150 miles, but when I got to the station I popped the cap to find that the tank appeared to be full.
Now, while I do believe in miracles, I don't think they manifest themselves in the form of the never-empty tank of gas, or that I would deserve that anyway. :rotfl: I can't say that I believe in fuel fairies, but because of the level that the gas was now at - it wouldn't allow anymore to be added, (fueling 101 - gas level cuts off the nozzle) so I took the bike back home and just came to work in the dually.
My questions are... 1) What's the mechanism that makes the reserve function on an 08 CBR 1K? It appears there is some sort of bladder in the tank with the fuel on top of it. Could this be a tank liner that's come loose? Is the reserve float actually some sort of bladder? I would guess whatever is causing this has got to be temp related, possibly due to thermal difference as the very cold bike with very cold fuel inside warmed from the bottom. (heat of the engine) And I would guess once it's warmer outside this situation will actually "fix itself", but I'm just curious if anyone else has ever experienced this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: old AND stupid... i gots no chance! :D

The only thing better than being dumb is being dumb in public, where you have a forum, and when people laugh at you - you might remember better not to do it again. :D

So I solved my problem. When I got home late last night I broke out the flashlight and other tools (in the warm garage) and checked the tank again. It is indeed full of fuel. (no, the fuel faries aren't to blame) Since the last time I rode about 3 weeks ago, I got gas on the way home after work (3am) and just forgot I had done so.
What threw me was the reserve light still being on when I started the bike yesterday. Yeah, I know it stays on after you gas up (THAT'S annoying as hell I think) but mine has always gone off again within .5 - .75 of a mile after I leave the station. As my house is about 2.5 miles away, that's just weird.
When I was at the station, I think what I "saw" in the tank was actually the reflection of the overhead cover above the pumps and it looked like something in the tank to me. Of course at the time I didn't feel like sticking my bare finger down into the fuel with it being 24 degrees out. :eyebrows:
So there you have it. It's all me - I'm a dumbass. Feel free to laugh, but not too hard - I'm sticking to my standard answer - I'm old and I forget things, so be kind. Assuming that doesn't work, feck you guys. :rotfl:

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
We all have our ..............................er....................seniors moments.:O

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
We all have our ..............................er....................seniors moments.:O
:hmm: Some of us have senior moments when we aren't even 'seniors' yet :crying:

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
:hmm: Some of us have senior moments when we aren't even 'seniors' yet :crying:
I hav'nt a clue what you're talking about Loopy.:eyebrows: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you had filled her up all along and just didnt remember ? haha if thats it , then yea, your age is starting to get to you haha :)
Yeah, that's pretty much it. LOL
What's worse than forgetting stuff, is randomly remembering stuff at the weirdest moment. For instance, I was at a lunch meeting the other day talking to some guys about custom aircraft interiors, when this very pretty girl walked by our table and I thought... "holy SH!T - I forgot to pay the rent this month!"
:rotfl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts