Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just went for a ride down a local fav back road and when leaning right was hearing horrible noises,I thought it was my cct about to go and when I stopped to check it out, my muffler was about to fall off.

My cheap muffler bracket was not up to the task it seems,too much movement and it caused the welds to fracture.

I've got a track day on wednesday so am hoping to get it welded if I can,otherwise my mate has his stock midpipe I can borrow.
Honda had a reason for making the rear peg bracket strong it seems.

MORAL OF THE STORY----------> YA GET WHAT YA PAY FOR :thumb:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bacchus said:
That sucks Kiwi - what brand was it? :idunno:
Unfortunately I made it myself after seeing one on ebay made from 3mm aluminium,just a bit too much sideways movement and no rubber damper.

I've only got myself to blame,cheapskate that I am :crying:

Back to the stock peg for me.

Would've been a great excuse to get a full system if I hadn't just brought an A* suit. :crap:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Are you certain it's the bracket?
When I had my 929, the same thing happened with my stock bracket. My midheader cracked in the same place at the weld. i took it to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RacerCutie said:
Are you certain it's the bracket?
When I had my 929, the same thing happened with my stock bracket. My midheader cracked in the same place at the weld. i took it to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty.
Having just tried to fit my mates 954 pipe on,we wondered the same thing actually.
The 954 welds are very different so that they aren't in a full cicumference weld.
It doesn't fit either,the 954 exits a bit higher and longer which means even my stock rear peg is too low.

·
Registered
395 Posts
KiwiBlader said:
Back to the stock peg for me.
My stock worked out ok after I bought a slightly rashed unit from one of our local "icey hot stunnas" for $10. A little grinding and a little polishing and it has been flawless. Maybe not the prettiest or lightest but working fine.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I also had the same weld crack at the same spot on my 929. Stock bracket, stock exhaust. I had it rewelded. The bike has never been down, and the exaust system had never been off at that time.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah, apparently Honda's Ti welding (or their supplier's :idunno: ) wasn't quite up to par on the 929's exhaust.

I wouldn't call that a common failure, but it has happened to several people with stock exhaust brackets.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
luvtolean said:
Yeah, apparently Honda's Ti welding (or their supplier's :idunno: ) wasn't quite up to par on the 929's exhaust.

I wouldn't call that a common failure, but it has happened to several people with stock exhaust brackets.
That part is stainless I believe, only infront of the the HTEV is Ti.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts