Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all who posted pics of the way this turned out on their bikes. Here's what mine looks like. I was up till 4am doing this, so I didn't have time to make the edges look "all pretty" with a file yet. That will come later. I might end up using a little red nail polish around the edges of where it's cut away in front of the chain. DANGER DANGER!! Ha ha! I have read some posts about "just remove the sprocket cover" and would strongly advise against this. The drive sprocket is very near your vent hoses, and if you wear loose fitting pants it could be disastrous. I wear a suit when I drive during the work week - I need the protection.

Used a Dremel, modified the chain / sprocket cover. Here's a tip for anyone doing this - THE THREAD PATTERN ON THE SHIFT LINKAGE IS REVERSED. When you go to loosen the locking nut and remove the top linkage that attaches to the transmission spline, know that it is a reverse thread.

I'm very happy to have this! I rode my 929 for 10 years like this. I don't want to swap out the rearsets as I like the folding pegs. They always creep up against my heels when I put my feet down.

I'm short, I can't widen my stance enough to avoid the pegs, so the folding pegs are a must for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My question is... Why go to GP Shift?
Okay so,

10 yrs ago the answer was, I was a pretty good corner carver running up in the front of NESBA's intermediate group. Ever catch your foot between bike and asphalt at... any speed? Really hurts!

There's a guy on one of these forums who put it very plainly... "Stomp down... go fast!" Or something like that. Really sums it up.

Presently, the answer is, after 10 years of shifting that way, I mis-shift once in awhile if I have to go back to conventional. And since I still ride pretty darn hard when that 'ol ballistic feeling hits me, why ruin a good thing };-p

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
quicker shifting when you are gp shifted .. think about the natural way the foot moves
Your foot moves both up and down... haha

His answer is pretty good I will admit. Not every racer runs GP shift though. My friend changed his back and forth depending on the track.

My R6 is GP shift, why? The Quickshifter sensor is a push type so I had no choice haha.

·
Registered
167 Posts
takes less effort and easier to move your foot down naturally then it does to pull up
is that a clearer answer lol
all my bikes ALL OF THEM except my crusier is gp shifted (wish i could figure out to gp shift my cruiser) lol

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I am not going to lie.. I prefer standard shift for down shifting. Downshift a lot quicker then yeah go up :p

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Gp shift is one of the greatest things i ever did on a roadbike.....it just feels so much more natural if that makes sense.nice job:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts