Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I like it because it feels more natural/easier to upshift to next gear at a fast pace by tapping shift foot down. When I first changed it I would almost accidently shift the standard way, but now I don't even think about it. The true track/racers state it's safer to upshift and not have your shift foot get caught/scuffed by pavement. I love it, less mis-shifts for me as well.

The 929 uses the VFR shifter (Ron Ayers) and does away with the stock shift rod? assembly. Don't know about 954, but should work. Very inexpensive mod, one of my best mods.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just remove the existing lever and linkage, and replace it with the VFR lever. You exesting lever goes forward, the new lever will go toward the back with the rubber shift thing (tech term) in the same position.

I find it much easier to upshift.

Easy mod.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
just_john : It cant be that easy.  Whats the part number and does anyone have pictures.
It really is that easy!  Even I could install it!  Do a search as well for pics (if the old site is still up).  Give it a try and if you don't like it, change back.  It's been awhile but I think it was $30.00

Edit: As usual my typing is too slowwww.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I even see a few of the drag racers (who run only mildly tweaked street bikes at the track here, not over the top machines with air shifters and whatnot) moving to the reverse pattern shift. Seems to make preloading the shifter easier for a quick, positive gear change.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
i have set up my last 3 bikes like that and LOVE it. it really is easier to shift that way and i will never go back to the standard pattern

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You ass wad.... Whatever that is. I was referring to the installation. Umm okay. I might give it a try. But some people tell me to just move the shift lever lower to get a more positive shift.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
The first thin I did when I got my new bike home was to adjust all the levers to suit me, that did include adjusting the gear lever to suit my feet placement, it makes me feel more comfortable on the bike which in turns makes me ride better.

sorry bout that last post

·
Registered
433 Posts
I did the VFR shifter on both the 929 and the RC51. It will work on the 954 and the F4 and F4i as well I believe (probably others as well, including the SuperHawk).

I will say that one word of advice if you reverse the shift pattern is to make sure the shift lever is high enough that something else on the bike will drag before it does if you do a lot of track days and can get really cranked over. If you are running through a turn at 10,000RPM or so and the shifter hits the ground and knocks you into a lower gear then you will be on your head pretty quickly. Besides over revving the motor the rear tire likely won't be able to keep up with your speed and will lowside you. I adjusted mine such that if my lever hits the ground then the stator cover has probably already been ground down by the pavement as it slides along.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts