Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I would drag race the 929 I had a habit of finding the rev limiter (on a track). Been looking for a good shift light to get my attention before the revlimiter did. Got a Datatool Revlight for $84, 30 min install later....it's running! 6 green, 3 yellow, 2 red.

Video of the revlight in action

Bike at idle:

Bike at upper RPM:

This was a 50/50 Function/poser mod. Something to do over the winter here in the great white north.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NinerPilot said:
I was gonna ask if there was movement, but obviously so... You know you can rev it in Neutral too right....
Chris
Motor revs too fast, and you think I'd open myself up to taking Stegans place by revving the motor to 11k in neutral?

why do the bike move forward when I do that?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The revlight is much faster than the tach needle, obviously since it's just a signal, vs a physical guage. In Neutral the bike could rev up so quick that the revlight would flash a red light, while the needle was still sweeping past 9k on the tach.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
hmmm, I thought that was pretty cool :idunno:

I know what you mean by winter tinkering :D

Questions;
Can you see those lights well enough in the bright sun? (I know you haven't had it outside, but do you think they will be?)

Only 30 minutes? Did you have to splice into one of the tach wires?

And what did you have your bike on to simulate rpm/rev light? Rollers?

I probably would not do this mod (not important enough for me) and I'm not going to (unnecessarily) link you with stegen references. Good for you dude, thanks for the info on products that are out there. :thumb:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure on the bright sun yet, it does have a light sensor on it and will auto dim in the dark. When we get some sun in new england I'll be sure to roll the bike out for a test, gray as hell out right now though.

I did have to tap into 3 wires to do this. I just melted off the insulation and soldered the wires into the bare spots. 30 mins is alittle low a number I guess, I'd say I was playing for about an hour since I'm not much for soldering and just wanted to take my time and get it right the 1st try.

http://cbr929rr.com/images/revlight/wires.jpg

Are you wondering how I managed to hit 111mph in my garage? Put the bike up on the rear stand and grabbed a ton of front brake. Wanted to see how it would react under load vs just free reving.

Yeah, the mod isn't for everyone, but I'm a geek when it comes to gadgets. I had been looking for a small LED shift light to tuck away somewhere, but this was such a cool solution I had to give it a try. The neatest part about it is it's completely flexable, some how they made a printed circuit board nearly like rubber. Very impressive product, well thought out.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
SuperDave said:
Questions;
Can you see those lights well enough in the bright sun? (I know you haven't had it outside, but do you think they will be?)
Hell froze over today in NH, it was sunny out...and even kinda warm (if you think 40ish is warm). I pulled the bike out while I was working on it and snapped off a picture of the Revlight in as direct sunlight as I could manage. Seemed pretty visable to me. Is alittle brighter if you look at it head on, but I couldn't hold the camera there since it would put a shadow on the Revlight. I ended up giving up on the adhesive strip they include, now it's just wedged in between the tach and the windscreen which seems to work fine. Took a vid of the one of the other modes you can use, will post that in a few.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
That's cool, Sirkbac. :thumb: I like that 2nd mode.

Hmmm...would like to cut one of those things open and see how it works. I'm currently building a microcontroller based turn signal thingy that I won't describe too much until it's done, but I'm looking for a good way to pot it or otherwise enclose it. It will probably be illegal in all 50 states, but it's being built to a friend's specs and that's what he wants. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts