Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd heard from many here about the horrors of taking a passenger on the back of the 954, so I didn't know what to expect when I took my wife for her maiden voyage on the new Blade.

She really enjoyed it, and says it is much more comfortable than my F4. She used to slide down the seat on the F4, and all her weight would be on me whenever I would slow down at all. On the 954, she liked the fact that the seat was relatively flat by comparison, and she found it much easier to stay on her perch. She also liked the fact that she sits much higher, and gets to see better and get more wind to keep her cool! Most people complain about too much wind!!??

All in all, today's ride was a great success! Just so you know, she is 5' tall and about 115 lbs. I'm sure her size helped with the comfort factor, because she said she didn't feel cramped at all.

I almost forgot to mention that having a passenger was no problem at all for me. The bike didn't have that extremely top-heavy feeling that many describe when taking a passenger on the Blade. It was the best ride I've had while taking my wife since I had my '96 Yamaha Seca II. I don't feel like I did 20 sets of bench after the ride!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Wife?   Thought you were single.

Hey, did you see the thread that 2OHOH2954 put out on the 3 day trip to VT/MA area?  Sounds kind of interesting, might be a bit short for me though.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mr_rua : Wife?   Thought you were single.

Hey, did you see the thread that 2OHOH2954 put out on the 3 day trip to VT/MA area?  Sounds kind of interesting, might be a bit short for me though.
No, I'm married. I have a soon to be 16 year old son by my first wife, which I just won custody of in December. I have been married to my wife Cindy for 8 years as of July 8. Cindy is a great wife and a great mom to my two boys, Peter and Jason. Hopefully you'll get to meet her if you ever come to town. YOU WILL BE COMING TO TOWN, WON'T YOU?!!!!

I didn't see 2OHOH2954's thread about the trip. I'll check it out now.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
My GF doesn't seem to mind the 929/RC51 seat setup either.  Obviously she likes the one piece seats better, but with a few stops here and there, its okay.  She's 5'8' probably and 125 or so...  She says as long as we're riding at a quick clip, she doesn't mind, but around town is sucks...

Sometimes, I just jam on the brakes extra hard just to see if she's paying attention!    That is normally followed by a slap to the back of the helmet.  

·
Registered
191 Posts
I took my wife for our first ride together on the Bimmer Sun. I usually like to reserve my riding as MY thing, MY getaway. But it was very enjoyable to spend some quality time with 2 of the things I love most in life.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sittinguy : did you say 5 ft tall and about 115lbs?  pics please:):):)
I don't have a way to post pics, or I would. Probably not the kind you're talking about though!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ccwilli3 : My GF doesn't seem to mind the 929/RC51 seat setup either.  Obviously she likes the one piece seats better, but with a few stops here and there, its okay.  She's 5'8' probably and 125 or so...  She says as long as we're riding at a quick clip, she doesn't mind, but around town is sucks...

Sometimes, I just jam on the brakes extra hard just to see if she's paying attention!    That is normally followed by a slap to the back of the helmet.  
My wife actually likes the pillion better than the one-piece seat the F4 had. I took it easy because it was the first ride. I turned up the heat a little on the road that leads back to my development. It's about 2 1/2 miles of twisties. I ran through there at speeds ranging from 55-65 mph, then gave it a little shot of acceleration in a short straight before turning into our road. When we got home, she told me she liked it best when I gave it a quick rip, and when we were hauling through the turns! She also wants to go on a faster run through some of the twisties in the area. How cool is that! 'Gee Honey, can you go FASTER next time?!'

I do worry about her holding on tight enough. I've considered getting something like the Buddy Belt. Does anybody have something like this for a passenger? She's not too crazy about the extra handlebars on the tank, and neither am I.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ConqSoft : My wife hated riding the 929.  We took a 130mile ride last weekend on the XX with the new Givi/Backrest and she actually likes riding now.
Maybe it's because I've never had anything other than a sportbike, so she has no other means of comparison. I'm the only person she has gotten a ride from in the last 13 years, so her memories of rides before that are a little murky at best.

Come to think of it, I think she has gotten rides on Harleys and other cruisers. I don't know for sure. Her dad had a Dyna Wideglide. We went riding 2 years ago, and swapped bikes. He loved ripping around on the 600, and couldn't believe the power it could generate out of such little displacement. The Wideglide was actually very nice. What a contrast in every aspect of riding! That was fun.

Sorry.....I'm rambling. I'll shut up now!

·
Registered
11 Posts
pczach : Quote (ConqSoft @ May 28 2003, 4:34pm)My wife hated riding the 929.  We took a 130mile ride last weekend on the XX with the new Givi/Backrest and she actually likes riding now.
Maybe it's because I've never had anything other than a sportbike, so she has no other means of comparison. I'm the only person she has gotten a ride from in the last 13 years, so her memories of rides before that are a little murky at best.

Come to think of it, I think she has gotten rides on Harleys and other cruisers. I don't know for sure. Her dad had a Dyna Wideglide. We went riding 2 years ago, and swapped bikes. He loved ripping around on the 600, and couldn't believe the power it could generate out of such little displacement. The Wideglide was actually very nice. What a contrast in every aspect of riding! That was fun.

Sorry.....I'm rambling. I'll shut up now!
becareful out there, it sucks to have anything happen and be on your conscious. When I started riding 2 up I had about a years experience and crashed with my girlfriend at the time on back. Although I came out worse then her, all I could think of was 'oh #### is she ok? I am such an idiot!!!' It sucks to see something that you did to result in someone being strapped to that ambulance board (precautionary)

Thank god she was wearing a riding jacket!!! Now if I ride 2 up it's always comfy pace. And them wearing gear for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh and riding 2 up now on the 954 sucks. After a 2hr ride, ass is sore. The passenger seat isn't that comfy and almost as hard as the driver's seat

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
TheRok229 : Oh and riding 2 up now on the 954 sucks.  After a 2hr ride, ass is sore.  The passenger seat isn't that comfy and almost as hard as the driver's seat
Airhawk small pillion pad

·
Registered
11 Posts
2OHOH2954 : Quote (TheRok229 @ May 28 2003, 6:15pm)Oh and riding 2 up now on the 954 sucks.  After a 2hr ride, ass is sore.  The passenger seat isn't that comfy and almost as hard as the driver's seat

Got link?

I also just bought a spare main seat for street riding that I plan to redo with Gel Just need to find a place that I can get some Custom gel for it.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
TheRok229 : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ May 28 2003, 6:18pm)Quote (TheRok229 @ May 28 2003, 6:15pm)Oh and riding 2 up now on the 954 sucks.  After a 2hr ride, ass is sore.  The passenger seat isn't that comfy and almost as hard as the driver's seat

Got link?  

I also just bought a spare main seat for street riding that I plan to redo with Gel  Just need to find a place that I can get some Custom gel for it.
Got Google?

http://www.mc-accessories.com/airhawk.htm

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
ConqSoft : My wife hated riding the 929.  We took a 130mile ride last weekend on the XX with the new Givi/Backrest and she actually likes riding now.
Sweet man! Thats cool! So have you guys planned a trip of sorts yet?

(with the doggies in the top case? )

·
Registered
551 Posts
pczach : No, I'm married. I have a soon to be 16 year old son by my first wife, which I just won custody of in December. I have been married to my wife Cindy for 8 years as of July 8. Cindy is a great wife and a great mom to my two boys, Peter and Jason. Hopefully you'll get to meet her if you ever come to town. YOU WILL BE COMING TO TOWN, WON'T YOU?!!!!

I didn't see 2OHOH2954's thread about the trip. I'll check it out now.
I had to cancel my Deal's Gap trip this year (suppose to be down there as of 5/25/2003-6/2/2003) with my buddies because of work.  So a couple of them ended up not going because I didn't go.  They are pretty pissed at me and told me that I had to make it up by organizing another trip.  I'm promising them this trip to PA and all the way up to Conn.

So absolutely, I will be coming up to PA with the bike!  My buddies are already hounding me to give them a set date so they can take off of work.

Like I said in another thread, I'll give you a more concrete date towards the middle or end of June.

Sorry about the confusion on the marriage thing.  You had told me before in a PM about a divorce so I assumed and didn't want to divulge that information in a public forum.

Oh yeah, hope to meet your wife and kids soon!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ccwilli3 : Quote (pczach @ May 28 2003, 4:47pm)'Gee Honey, can you go FASTER next time?!'    

I hope thats not a line you hear often...  
Ummmmm....she never says it to me in bed? Is that the right answer?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had to cancel my Deal's Gap trip this year (suppose to be down there as of 5/25/2003-6/2/2003) with my buddies because of work.  So a couple of them ended up not going because I didn't go.  They are pretty pissed at me and told me that I had to make it up by organizing another trip.  I'm promising them this trip to PA and all the way up to Conn.

So absolutely, I will be coming up to PA with the bike!  My buddies are already hounding me to give them a set date so they can take off of work.

Like I said in another thread, I'll give you a more concrete date towards the middle or end of June.

Sorry about the confusion on the marriage thing.  You had told me before in a PM about a divorce so I assumed and didn't want to divulge that information in a public forum.

Oh yeah, hope to meet your wife and kids soon!

[/quote]
Yeah, I can't make that trip either. Just let me know when you find out some dates that you can make the ride to PA.

No problem about the marriage thing. Actually, it was a custody case I was going through. There's nothing wrong with letting people know a little bit about me. I'm proud of the fact I got my son out of a bad situation, and that he wanted to live with me. It's all about taking care of your family. If you can't be there for your kids, you have no business having them. My biggest worry is that he's turning 16! That's right, legal driving age! I'm sure my insurance company is foaming at the mouth, waiting to stick it to me on the premiums!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts