Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
One of the easiest solutions I have used (in addition to the sport chock). Used to use a tailgate extender, but this is too cool: Vehicle Systems Introduces the Tailgate Latch Bar – Motocross News, Race Reports, Videos, Photos, Interviews, How-Tos

No affiliatio, blah blah. Just a really satisfied user

those are pretty sweet but I know they won't work for newer Tacomas and a sportbike. my bike's rear wheel sits on the tailgate. so I use a readyramp which folds into a bed extender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put my 600RR on my Tacoma PreRunner regular cab, with the tail gate down. If you want to make sure, use 6 tie downs instead of just 2 or 4. Of course, you also need to make sure that the weight rating for those tie downs exceed your bike's weight (2x is good).

·
Registered
23 Posts
id tie a red flag as f1 hurricane said, you should be alright, ive trucked mine many places with the gate down and its a full size dodge, the gate down will give you a few more mpg (less drag) you will def see a big difference in mpg on a 500 mile trip (have all the bikes papers on hand in case johnny law checks you out), drive safe! ride hard!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought an older chevy astro van on e-bay--stripped out the interior and made a fold out bed--now I can haul my bike covered and safe in the van and have a little bed to sleep on at the track or where ever I end up. Very nice and gets about 24 miles to the gallon.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Impossible! Having your tailgate down with a bike sticking up in back will effect the trucks aerodynamics causing an uncontrolable instability. The truck will go into a wiffle ball spin at anything over 30mph and kill anyone with in 30 feet.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I am by myself at home laughing out loud. I think I scared my dog.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Impossible! Having your tailgate down with a bike sticking up in back will effect the trucks aerodynamics causing an uncontrolable instability. The truck will go into a wiffle ball spin at anything over 30mph and kill anyone with in 30 feet.
yeah thats why you need the tractor trailer air-foil/spoiler on the roof of the truck......oh yeah and a good fart can exhaust on the truck too, this will help reverse the direction of spinning when you rev the gas good.

and be sure to drill plenty of holes in the truck so it whistles and warns others once the spin cycle has begun

sorry to bring this back from the dead, but that is some hilarious stuff :)

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
shoulda bought a gmc 2500 and you wouldn't have this problem....when you buy a real truck you can close the tailgate with a bike in the back ;)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
How short of closing the gate is it? Maybe you can let the air out of the tires and squeeze it closed.

negative, i have a shor bed f150 and the gate closes just fine..........no need for a long bed (at least not with a ford)

·
Registered
64 Posts
negative, i have a shor bed f150 and the gate closes just fine..........no need for a long bed (at least not with a ford)
OP has junk Dodge, shortbed won't fit a bike.

However, most pickup beds are ~6ft for shortbed and ~8ft for a longbed IIRC, so it should be within an inch or so of closing. I know my Chevy was very, very close but the gate did close with a few mm left. So maybe if he lets a little air out of the tires it will fit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
nope, wont hurt the tailgate or bike any; I used to carry my 10 ft chopper in the back of my long bed, and it even went out pass the tailgate, so I made a tailgate extender for the rear tire to rest on, never had any problems, and my chopper weighed about 700 pounds, with probably 75% of the weight on the rear wheel.....trust me, you will be fine

·
Registered
394 Posts
Depends on which F150 as theres three beds available. The short is 5.5 ft, the medium is 6.6 ft and the long is 8ft.
On the F150 short bed you can get the tailgate up halfway and then loop the cables up and over over the latch pins so its at a 45 degree angle which is much better than flat as other large items in the bed wont fall out the back.
A bed extender is much better if you own one though.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts