Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had to resort to riding with the standard muffler as I recently sold my Madaz muffler.
It sucks big time, not only does the bike sound I can not hear anything but wind noise at faster speeds. I have realised I actually feel the motor through the exhaust note and with out it, it feels weird to ride, I know I could get used to it, but hopefully the replacement will be here soon, at least before my next ride.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I realize I'm probably going to sound like something of a reformed smoker here, but now that I've been talked into riding with ear plugs full time (by folks here on the board), I don't miss the loud cans on this and previous bikes.

Soft sounding exhaust or not, I think I can hear the bike better with ear plugs because all the wind roar you referenced is canceled out. I find myself riding a bit more swiftly, more comfortably, and am far less fatigued at the end of a long day with a pair of foamies in my ears than without.

Perhaps I'm getting old like, well, Bacchus, but I like the fact I don't attract as much attention from scowling cagers, 20 year old squids and the local authorities too.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Chain : Soft sounding exhaust or not, I think I can hear the bike better with ear plugs because all the wind roar you referenced is canceled out. I find myself riding a bit more swiftly, more comfortably, and am far less fatigued at the end of a long day with a pair of foamies in my ears than without.
Well GDMF!

I actually agree with the old polesmoker on this one... Since about 2 months into my riding career, I have never ridden without plugs... Its just more relaxing and I hear less of the stuff I don't want to hear...

But yes, the stock can really does suck, the bike just sounds sick... Its definitly choked with the stocker on there... But with plugs, I could still hear the bike despite the stock can...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I always enjoyed 'stealth mode' with the stock can - also, glad to hear you guys are using ear protection!!!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The standard muffler isn't all that bad ya know. It's fairly quiet, but if you let the revs climb it sounds really cool.
Besides, I can't justify spending that much coin on something that'll just sound good when the can I have is still good and functions well. It would just be a waste not to use it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I always wear ear plugs, but still like to hear the engine when I am flogging it. If it's too quiet, I can't tell what the engine is doing without looking down at the tach. I can instantly tell if the bike is lugging after a tight turn by just listening to the engine. Ya, many people function just fine with the stock can, but I perfer a little noise. JM2C

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like it a liittle louder than stock myself. I keep the revs down around town so as to not interetst the local authorities, and I depressurize my ears by pinching my nose closed and swallowing (Toynbee Maneuver) as a natural earplug when I'm on the freeway or in the twisties.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Oz : I like it a liittle louder than stock myself.  I keep the revs down around town so as to not interetst the local authorities, and I depressurize my ears by pinching my nose closed and swallowing (Toynbee Maneuver) as a natural earplug when I'm on the freeway or in the twisties.

I thought you were bullshittin' there until I did a Google for the Toynbee Maneuver. Still, too weird, lol! I'll stick with my foamies, thanks.

http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html#Toynbee

·
Registered
148 Posts
Chain : I thought you were bullshittin' there until I did a Google for the Toynbee Maneuver. Still, too weird, lol! I'll stick with my foamies, thanks.
Well, it's better than being a polesmoker.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Oz : Quote (Chain @ Aug. 10 2003, 3:05pm)I thought you were bullshittin' there until I did a Google for the Toynbee Maneuver. Still, too weird, lol! I'll stick with my foamies, thanks.
Well, it's better than being a polesmoker.  
I have to agree.

Baketech started all this crap. One day he'll pay. I'm a patient man, and I have contacts in Hoosierville.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to agree about the earplug thing, but I can still hear the note of the exhaust with the aftermarket can on even when wearing earplugs, although the can was not that loud, it must be the frequency of the deep note Maybe I hve just trained myself to listen for the exhaust note

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
GhostRider : Quote (Chain @ Aug. 10 2003, 8:47am)Perhaps I'm getting old like, well, Bacchus, but I like the fact I don't attract as much attention ...
uh oh...  
Yeah, 'uh oh' Chain.  BTW, who is your buddy on the right?  

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Chain : Baketech started all this crap. One day he'll pay. I'm a patient man, and I have contacts in Hoosierville.
Whoa whoa whoa....

How in the hell did I start any of this?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Baketech : Quote (Chain @ Aug. 10 2003, 4:26pm)Baketech started all this crap. One day he'll pay. I'm a patient man, and I have contacts in Hoosierville.
Whoa whoa whoa....

How in the hell did I start any of this?
Oh c'mon now bud. I used to be known as Chainstretcher but you supplanted that with Pudstretcher. Polesmoker is simply a variant of your devious ways. ccwilli cannot be held accountable. You started it.

<Chain wrings his hands>

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Wadaminit....are you saying that you are the artist formerly known as Chainstretcher.....!?!??! WTF?

I thought he went away right before you came along....he was an okay guy....for some reason I never made the connection...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm not much of a fan of the stock can myself, and I wear plugs as well. I think Suzuki and Kawasaki have decent sounding stock pipes, but Yamaha and Honda (especially) sound like sewing machines.

On a performance related note, it's amazing how much less restricted the bike feels with a full Hindle on it. With the stock can on there, the bike felt very choked. The full system really opens it up.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I love the sound of my stock can, I definitely prefer the stealth of a quiet pipe it's saved me a ticket before. I liked the sound of my ZX9 way better than the 954 it does sound like a sewing machine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts