Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a brand new 08 1000RR had it for 5 days and the back rim imploded! the bike flipped end over end finally stopping 115ft from where the rim came apart. i had on normal clothes (jeans and t-shirt) and my helmet so i got pretty bad road rash, also a broken right finger and torn ligaments in my left knee requiring surgery to fix. the bike is pretty beat up to say the least, i bought the bike cash so i only had liability insurance because thats all i could afford. it only had 262 miles on the bike and i was running between 45-50 mph when the accident happened. now the honda representative they sent to look at the bike claims the rim was messed up during the wreck not the cause of the wreck. so i am stuck with this 12000 dollar bike that is useless not to mention the 6500 dollar hospital and doctor bills and i cant afford the surgery to my knee. im only 23 years old and i cant use my knees anymore. i had a lawyer and a witness to the wreck but the witness didnot want to go to court so my lawyer dropped the case due to insufficient evidence. does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do now to continue trying to get honda to take responsibility for what happened?

·
Registered
23 Posts
supena (sp?) their ass. A good lawyer wouldnt have dropped such a case that easily. But Im wondering how it flipped end over end. Wouldnt that have just caused the rear to lock up? and just my oppinion...if you can afford a new bike cash and cant afford full coverage, its just asking for something like this to happen.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
What did the witness say happened?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a society where you have to pay for medical treatment.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I pay my taxes but over here we get our medical expenses paid by the government - thats one reason why we have so many foriegners...

Not sure where you stand with the bike, they will (honda) try and pass the blame but without evidence/witness I don't think you can do anything regarding the bike.

Are your knees out of action completly?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I can't imagine what it's like to not get quality health care in a timely manner...

·
Registered
896 Posts
best of luck to ya. you learned a very big lesson here.

next time have full coverage! i understand you cant afford it immediately but you could have parked the bike till you could have afforded to pay for the insurance and you wouldnt be out so much money...

23yrs old on a big nasty liter bike with no protective gear other than a helmet. you should definately be kicking yourself in the arse for being a moron. if you ever ride again remember these words jacket, gloves, helmet, pants, and boots. you will probably have a hard time doing anything with this case considering your witness flaked out and lawyer dropped the case you are officially screwed.

hope you recover. its truly a shame if your knees are F'd for life. if u get back on a bike in the future please be more responsible for your own good and others. im not saying what happend was your fault just that if u would have used better judgement your problems would be much less severe. my brother was in a much worse accident than what you describe and he made it thru with no broken bones and minor rash. difference was he was all geared up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Like DavyJay suggested, post pictures of the bike, of the place it happened and a real incident report with detailed descriptions and sworn witness statement in your gallery and in this thread.
If there is obvious technical evidence that Honda has liability for the damages, they might change their position. If it could just have been a nail on the road that caused the accident ??? well - that why we usually have insurance.

Regards - and hope for recovery of your knee - Fred

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I can't imagine what it's like to not get quality health care in a timely manner...
I'm not sure what you mean by this but I've never waited for care and I have zero complaints about the quality. I've had some pretty nasty injuries put back together.
If I'd had to pay thousands of dollars to have my bones put back together or have my right hand sewn back on I can't imagine I would've gotten quality or timely care - I probably would've tried doing it myself instead :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
You do, its part of our taxes.
Yep, 1.5% of taxable income last time I checked.
I know for sure I've had _way_ more than that back from the system myself :)
My right hand alone must've cost over $50K and that was eighteen years ago. Free ambulance rides would be over $5000 by now I reckon.
I have no fear of crashing but if I thought I'd be up for $500 just for the ambulance plus perhaps the price of the bike to have some simple medical treatment I'd probably never go out my driveway.

·
Registered
393 Posts
In the US, a hospital cannot, by law, turn down anyone in need of emergency health care. So, they might not do his knee surgery, but they would have took him to the ER and done whatever needed to be done in order to get him right ... in laymen terms.

As for the guy that crashed, that is terrible and I hope everything works out for you. However, if you spent "$12,000" on the bike, you should have got full coverage. If you couldn't afford it, maybe you should have went with a $7500 bike and left yourself some insurance money.

Not sure why your witness backed out on you, but you should really keep talking to them until they agree to help you out. Also, your personal injury lawyer should know how to determine the cause of the accident for you. If he doesn't know how to do that, get one that does. That is their job! Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I really hope this is a joke. If not, you've got many years of pain in front of you. And it's only gonna get worse.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I really hope this is a joke. If not, you've got many years of pain in front of you. And it's only gonna get worse.
Some how I don't think it is... :idunno:

I've seen a bloke who turned his Hayabusa into a trike (as he had lost use of his legs in a motorbike accident...)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
:plus1: People always forget that you get what you pay for.

:plus1::plus1:

One of the main reasons that I keep my job is that the health-care is top notch. I pay a lot for it, but even if free gov't was offered I still keep mine.

Sorry to hear about the accident, I hope you recover quickly.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
As I said though, my heathcare has always been top notch as well.
My mechanic had full private cover costing nearly $3000 a year and his daughter needed a heart operation.
The doctors actually told him to be sure _not_ to mention that he had private cover as she'd get _exactly_ the same treatment for free - which he did.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts