Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need to add some RDRAM tomy desktop that has 4 RIMM slots, as below:

RIMM1 128
RIMM2 128
----
RIMM3 Continuity Module
RIMM4 Continuity Module

PC800 RDRAM ECC or non-ECC

I know that the sizes must be matched within the "pairs".....but can different sized modules be installed in opposite pairs?

On other words, do I have to put 128's in #3 & #4 or can I put 256's in them like this:

RIMM1 128
RIMM2 128
----
RIMM3 256 ??
RIMM4 256 ??

Thanks in advance... :thumb:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Bake, I've mixed like that on every computer I've had with paired memory. Though none were PC800 RDRAM, I can't imagine you'd have a problem with your proposal.

What's the cost adder from 256 to 512? You can never have too much ram...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
luvtolean said:
Bake, I've mixed like that on every computer I've had with paired memory. Though none were PC800 RDRAM, I can't imagine you'd have a problem with your proposal.

What's the cost adder from 256 to 512? You can never have too much ram...
Just getting started shopping....even though this isn't my workstation, I would like to end up with a gig or more...

BTW, where's the best deals on RAM right now anyway.... :idunno:

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Baketech said:
Just getting started shopping....even though this isn't my workstation, I would like to end up with a gig or more...

Try www.gogocity.com www.crucial.com or www.pricewatch.com Be careful with pricewatch, there used to be a lot of shady places on there, but I think most got weeded out.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Baketech said:

I filled up my 6 year old 400 Mhz Dell with Ram and it's always run stuff pretty good until I tried Medal of Honor, which didn't like my ancient graphics card or it too would've worked.

To me, RAM means your home computer will be servicable longer.

Looking through Conq's links, it looks like going from 256 to 512 will add <$100 for 2. It's the 1 gig stuff that's pricey.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
www.newegg.com Awesome prices, even better shipping. 2 days tops.

I went 2 512's because you can always add more with 4 slots and I doubt I will have the need for 2 GB of RAM. I already had 1 stick of 512, but apparently 1 GB in dual channel is better than 1.5 GB in single but that all depends on whether your board supports dual. It sound's like your board does since you have "A" and "B" slots. So it sounds like you can run the two different sizes with no problem. ( 256 in slot a-0 and b-0, 128 in slot a-1 and b-1 but they have to be identical pairs not just matched in size. I tried to pair 2 different brands and it stayed in single channel.)

Then again, I'm a novice, but I have built 2 computers now!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ConqSoft said:
I've used www.1stchoicememory.com many times in the past. Always had good service, and good quality.
They came through...just threw another 512 in alongside the original 256 and it is working fine... :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts