Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night John and his passenger were killed when a truck pulled out in front of them.

Just 5minutes earlier he was bumming a helmet to take his friend for a ride. We had talked several times about our blades and what he wanted to do to it. This really sucks! I didn't know him that well, but when your talking to a guy one minute, and he's dead the next, is just so.......depressing.

I don't know, this is the third rider that I knew to be killed this season. The only thing they really had in common was I think they were all new to sportbikes. I sometimes don't even want to get to know the newbies that come out.

I've been riding 'sportbikes' about ten years and this is the worst year for deaths that I and others can ever remember.

I don't know, I guess we all know the risk's involved when getting on a motorcycle, it just sucks when this happens.

news link

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Sorry to hear... and I'm sorry to say that I can't remember a time with more accidents/fatalities than in the past month

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
That's terrible. Just these last two weeks have been worse then anything. People are getting antsy with the season coming to an end.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Sorry to hear the news roadrunner. Seems to be an inordinate number of deaths lately - maybe it's because there is a lot more exposure to this sort of news through the forum? At any rate, RIP Jonathan Mifflin.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
God that sucks.

I saw that on the news and didn't for a second think that it could have been someone you knew. Condolences.

Reason to quit riding? I think not. Quite the opposite in fact.

Live today as if it's your last. Leave no adventure ignored.

·
Registered
284 Posts
One of my riding buddies just bought it about 5 days ago. Im going to go buy and drop of a card for his family today. He was only 25. There have been a lot of deaths laltely on other boards too. I was out riding last night with this girl that rides with me a lot and she wanted me to go fast out in the country....and i just couldnt... i wasnt that far from my riding buddies familes house, and i was thinking of all the deaths. Godspeed to your friend.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend!
My thoughts and wishes are with his family!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Bacchus : Seems to be an inordinate number of deaths lately - maybe it's because there is a lot more exposure to this sort of news through the forum? At any rate, RIP Jonathan Mifflin.
I think thats it.....a sort of Kevin Bacon Cancer Cluster Phenomena......

Anyway...sorry to hear about your friend....

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Very sad. I really want my son to buy a bike so we can go riding together, and he wants to also, but I've actually been finding myself talking him out of it just to keep him safe. I trust my own riding skills and general on-bike paranoia, but having him out on the streets with all the idiot cagers makes me nervous as hell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear roadrunner. There have been way to many deaths here reciently. Between this forum and another forum that i frequent(which will remain unnamed) there have been like 5 or 6 deaths in the last two weeks. It is a shame, it really is. I hape everyone out there learns from all this.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
bwhip : I really want my son to buy a bike so we can go riding together, and he wants to also, but I've actually been finding myself talking him out of it just to keep him safe.
I totally understand where you're coming from whip, but you can't shelter a child forever. Life is just too short as it is. If you do decide to share your love for motorcycling with him, just make sure (which I know you would) to get him started right with all of the experience you have acquired over the years. Go for it dude!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Bacchus : I totally understand where you're coming from whip, but you can't shelter a child forever.  Life is just too short as it is.  If you do decide to share your love for motorcycling with him, just make sure (which I know you would) to get him started right with all of the experience you have acquired over the years.     Go for it dude!
He just took the motorcycle riding beginner class offered by our state DMV - all day today, yesterday, and Friday evening. He's ridden before - we had trail bikes about 6 years ago, but it's been a while. When he got home today he took his first ride on the 'Blade. I was nervous, but he did just fine. He said he never got it over 40 MPH   in his 5 minute cruise around the neighborhood, but he was blown away by it. The first thing he said when he got back was 'It doesn't feel like a motorcycle - it feels like an extension of my body. It's so easy to ride, shift, turn! Unbelievable! '

1 - 14 of 14 Posts