Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last little decelleration before coming to a halt under braking from e.g. 10km/h to 0, the steering shudders a bit.. not up&down, but side-to side. The harder you brake the more it is. Nothing violent but definitely noticeable. Anyone else experienced this? Not sure how the HESD works but perhaps it's going into oscillation?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi Pwatts,

I'd suggest you check your steering head bearing adjustment as if it's a bit on the loose side it can cause the symptoms you have described (amongst others !).

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Registered
325 Posts
How's your front tire? I've had them become distorted from the layers seperating. Maybe you have one of those recalled Michelins?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, tires are Pirelli Corsas. Did a lot of testing yesterday and it seems to only happen sometimes - other times even a stoppie doesn't upset it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock brake pads, bike still has less than 3000mi on. Depending on the construction of the HESD it may be that it leaves its stability margin (I'm an electronic engineer :eyebrows: ), I'll check that by going downhill with the engine switched off :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it only happens in such low speeds i'd say it's not the tire, or suspension.

1) I bet for disk-pad contact has some troubles, one of the disks might be warped.
This should be noticed on higher speeds too?

2) Could be steering bearing too beeing too loose.

-J-

The last little decelleration before coming to a halt under braking from e.g. 10km/h to 0, the steering shudders a bit.. not up&down, but side-to side. The harder you brake the more it is. Nothing violent but definitely noticeable. Anyone else experienced this? Not sure how the HESD works but perhaps it's going into oscillation?

·
Registered
361 Posts
seems like your front brakes are locking up for some strange reason. loosen the left fork pinch bolts, sit on the bike and firmly push down on the front forks about 5 times while applying the front brake. then retighten and torque pinch bolts. this should help reset the pads. if they are worn, replace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mine does the same thing (06 blade), i.e. intermittent slight shudder just before coming to a complete stop?? definately feels like it's coming from the steering damper as there's no pulsing through the brake levers or anything?? had honda helderberg take a look at it but they reckon nothing wrong?

if you hear any different, let me know.

thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I don't really mind if it's a natural occurrence.. All the Honda SA agents are a bunch of idiots who doesn't want to spend the time to really check something out and when they do always try to pack the blame so the warranty doesn't cover it.

I'm taking mine to Martin Paetzold next week for a proper suspension job, maybe I'll swop the HESD with a C2P.

·
Registered
16 Posts
cool, let me know if there are any improvements. i must say, that the "shuddering" aside, i'm very happy with the handling of the bike though!

as a matter of interest, did u see the thread re the recall of some 06 blades due to some bad weld on the fuel tank?

anyway, i mailed honda with the recall letter to see what's up....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got the same on my 07 blade. I thought it was just another problem resulting from the front tire. I've got the stock pirellic corsa's and have been getting a lot of front end slide. I am going to my Honda dealer this weekend and will see what they say.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts