Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have a rr8 blade which I have used on some days through the winter, the bike has always been cleaned after any use and a few weeks ago I have noticed that the front Discs have some pitting on them,
I got in touch with my dealer about this, and have taken the bike over for them to send some pics into Honda,
Honda have now come to to me saying the pitting is due to some salt been left on the Disc's, between the pad and Disc itself I have informed them that the bike was always cleaned after any use, but they are having non of it.
Over the years all my bikes have been treated the same and I have never had this problem before.
Any ideas on how or what would be the next step due to me not been very happy with there out come so far, wheres the Honda Quality gone I came over from yamaha where I have had no such problems before.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My RR8 has gone through its second British winter including the extra salt & grit we were served this year and the disks are fine even though I don't wash it after each ride!
Not sure what you mean by pitted; maybe you can post a picture. The disks are stainless so they should be very rust resistant.
When you wash the bike, make sure you turn the wheels (I generally go for a short ride to air dry what I can't dry with a cloth) so that you don't get all the slat & grit nicely sealed between the pads & the disks.
Otherwise, the pad material could rust & start damaging the disks

·
Registered
330 Posts
You can get different grades of SS (like with kitchen knives)
I thought most current bikes used SS. Although my Yam XTR doesn't cause I get rust deposit inside the drilled vent holes.
You say step backwards compared to? cast iron? carbon?
I've only been riding for 7 years so I don't know what the common material used was before that

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
You can get different grades of SS (like with kitchen knives)
I thought most current bikes used SS. Although my Yam XTR doesn't cause I get rust deposit inside the drilled vent holes.
You say step backwards compared to? cast iron? carbon?
I've only been riding for 7 years so I don't know what the common material used was before that
High carbon iron is the best and it does show surface rust very quickly.
Stainless was used years ago because it doesn't rust.
Do mean that you assumed your bike has SS discs?
I'd be surprised if any sportsbike runs SS discs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It is what I was told by my Honda mechanic on my previous VFR-03 & current RR8
And to add to what they say, I don't experience any rusting on the discs.

I don't know about the exact content of the metal but you add different alloys to the metal to turn it into stainless.

I guess you could add carbon to the mix to improve friction but slightly increase wear.

A while ago I read a mag article about pads & discs when I was needing new once. It said most modern bikes use SS discs, the chrome content unfortunately reduces friction!
You are probably referring to ductile cast iron discs with the typical surface rust. They are better for performance/ track use but rust & probably heavier

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
It is what I was told by my Honda mechanic on my previous VFR-03 & current RR8
And to add to what they say, I don't experience any rusting on the discs.

I don't know about the exact content of the metal but you add different alloys to the metal to turn it into stainless.

I guess you could add carbon to the mix to improve friction but slightly increase wear.

A while ago I read a mag article about pads & discs when I was needing new once. It said most modern bikes use SS discs, the chrome content unfortunately reduces friction!
You are probably referring to ductile cast iron discs with the typical surface rust. They are better for performance/ track use but rust & probably heavier
I wouldn't be surprised if the VFR has SS discs. My brother's '02 has terrible brakes.
Did that article list any modern sports bikes that have SS discs?
I doubt the iron discs are heavier but they are certainly better for braking performance - regardless of whether road or track. All my modern bikes have iron discs - ZX6R, GSXR1000, '98/'90/'85 GSXR750's. Even the '84 GT750 touring bike has iron discs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
No, like I mentioned the article said MOST modern bike. It certainly didn't list discs fitted to all the bikes since 1980's.
Also your idea of modern may be different to theirs or mine.
I would consider less than 10 years old, modern but accept that it is all relative as there are no specific rule for classification!
For me, the brakes on the VFR were excellent specially the linked system.

As to find out exactly what metal is used on each modern sport bike, you'll have to do the search!

Slightly off the topic have you had any running experience with DOT 4, 5 & 5.1. I know the basic characteristics: boiling temperature, moisture absorption and not mixing 5 with 4 & 5.1. I also heard from somebody who used 5 in his racing car who said it was crap (long time ago so can't remember the details)

·
Registered
330 Posts
View attachment 41469 Here is a pic of the Disc's its hard to see, but is a third of the disc.
The bike was washed after each ride and I use a compressor to blow the excess water away
Hope you are better at washing your bike than taking pictures of it!
I can only make out some circulars wear lines and a couple of dark patches.
If the latter is the pitting you are referring to, mine doesn't have them but honestly with a better sharper pic, I can give you a much better idea compared to mine

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
No, like I mentioned the article said MOST modern bike. It certainly didn't list discs fitted to all the bikes since 1980's.
Also your idea of modern may be different to theirs or mine.
I would consider less than 10 years old, modern but accept that it is all relative as there are no specific rule for classification!
For me, the brakes on the VFR were excellent specially the linked system.

As to find out exactly what metal is used on each modern sport bike, you'll have to do the search!

Slightly off the topic have you had any running experience with DOT 4, 5 & 5.1. I know the basic characteristics: boiling temperature, moisture absorption and not mixing 5 with 4 & 5.1. I also heard from somebody who used 5 in his racing car who said it was crap (long time ago so can't remember the details)
I figure bikes became "modern" in the mid-eighties when Suzuki invented aluminium frames. I guess it could be claimed they stepped up again in the late nineties when they started injecting them but I don't consider that to have been a huge leap forward..
You stated the '08 discs are SS, I merely asked you why you thought that :)
I've never used 5.0 and never will.
I generally use 4.0 and 5.1 if I had a problem with the brakes which is very rare. I've never had any problems mixing 4.0 and 5.1.

Reactions: jazzy

·
Registered
330 Posts
I figure bikes became "modern" in the mid-eighties when Suzuki invented aluminium frames. I guess it could be claimed they stepped up again in the late nineties when they started injecting them but I don't consider that to have been a huge leap forward..
You stated the '08 discs are SS, I merely asked you why you thought that :)
I've never used 5.0 and never will.
I generally use 4.0 and 5.1 if I had a problem with the brakes which is very rare. I've never had any problems mixing 4.0 and 5.1.
As I mentioned earlier, the Honda mechanic told me what the disc material was and the fact that my discs don't rust add to this what the mag article wrote. I am not Sherlock Holmes but hey that is what I figured out.

If you do find out this is not the case for RR8, I would be interested to know.
I also mentioned before, you get different grade of SS for different application.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, the Honda mechanic told me what the disc material was and the fact that my discs don't rust add to this what the mag article wrote. I am not Sherlock Holmes but hey that is what I figured out.

If you do find out this is not the case for RR8, I would be interested to know.
I also mentioned before, you get different grade of SS for different application.
Are your discs magnetic?
Sure, there are different grades but what is the relevance here?
SS discs (regardless of the alloy properties) don't work as well as iron discs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sot sure it this was a joke:confused:
But don't be surprised to see electro magnetic braking system on motorbikes in the future (unless they already exist)
My point about cast iron was not about their performance but their rusting.
I did say they were better in terms of performance.

By changing the content of what goes in SS you can change their properties, therefore application.
As an example, cooking knives, you get surgical grade which are used to make cheap one with sharp edges which last a long time. Once they go blunt it is very difficult to sharpen them again
Then you get the high carbon SS knives, much more expensive, looses their edge quicker but can easily be sharpened; most pros use these
Marine grade SS are the most corrosion resistant grade.

But SS can also be brittle depending on its constituant

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Sot sure it this was a joke:confused:
But don't be surprised to see electro magnetic braking system on motorbikes in the future (unless they already exist)
My point about cast iron was not about their performance but their rusting.
I did say they were better in terms of performance.

By changing the content of what goes in SS you can change their properties, therefore application.
As an example, cooking knives, you get surgical grade which are used to make cheap one with sharp edges which last a long time. Once they go blunt it is very difficult to sharpen them again
Then you get the high carbon SS knives, much more expensive, looses their edge quicker but can easily be sharpened; most pros use these
Marine grade SS are the most corrosion resistant grade.

But SS can also be brittle depending on its constituant
Stainless steels are often very poor magnetically, especially when compared to iron.
I would assume that stainless discs would be made from whichever alloy offers the best braking performance ahead of any other considerations.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Pure Iron is the magnetic element; once you add nickel, chrome carbon, it all affects it magnetism.
I can only think the choice of SS discs is their rust resistance; according to the article I mentioned,it has lower friction and doesn't dissipate heat as well as others; but it does warm up quickly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.