Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all my 98RRW seems to be having a few issues. I recently had my rectifier go, did all the checks on the stator and it seemed ok so I just got the rectifier (Chinese one) came with a new connector same as old one just has a cooling sink now. Fired the bike up and at all rpms I have the same voltage (DC) 13.8v never changing. I thought well that's within spec and off we went. Now after the bike warms up to 130 or more it starts like it's almost flooding. I have to give er a little throttle to get it to fire up. Once running it's smooth. Does seem a tad boggy on the lower rpm's. Anyone got any clues? Is my stator pooched? Carbs maybe? It ran fine till the rectifier went....Thanks in advance

Rick

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I had a similar issue on mine, would start cold but needed throttle. When it was warm and I shut it off and tried to restart it would turnover but shown no sign of firing. If I left it for 15 mins it would restart.

Anyhow turned out to be the pilots set too rich, make sure they are all 2 turns out from closed. Adjusted mine now starts on the button hot or cold without any throttle needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I've started pulling it apart. It was running great that's the weird thing. I pulled the stator out just to double check it. I'll move to the carbs soon.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey all my 98RRW seems to be having a few issues. I recently had my rectifier go, did all the checks on the stator and it seemed ok so I just got the rectifier (Chinese one) came with a new connector same as old one just has a cooling sink now. Fired the bike up and at all rpms I have the same voltage (DC) 13.8v never changing. I thought well that's within spec and off we went. Now after the bike warms up to 130 or more it starts like it's almost flooding. I have to give er a little throttle to get it to fire up. Once running it's smooth. Does seem a tad boggy on the lower rpm's. Anyone got any clues? Is my stator pooched? Carbs maybe? It ran fine till the rectifier went....Thanks in advance

Rick

Too rich on the pilot circuits as Lamb mentioned. Does it start without choke when cold?
If it was fine before then something else has changed, probably the plugs worn out or the air filter is clogged or wet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will not start without the choke when cold. Pulling the plugs and air filter tonight if I get time. If all seems ok there I'll move on to the carbs. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts