Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced 2 rusty cylinder head nuts for nice new shiny ones, and will do the rest shortly as some are badly corroded. I knew from previous experience experience the studs can also unscrew from the head with the nuts, and this happened again with one. I had spares waiting incase this happened again.

The problem is I can't screw the new stud in fully by hand into the head , I get about half way. I could see on the original I took out some metallic shavings on the stud. as far as im aware this would be the 1st or 2nd time it would have been removed.

The oem studs are M8 at the head end and appear to be M7 size at the nut end. I have tried double nutting, but M6 is too small and M8 are too big, hence I'd say they are M7. I don't see M7 nuts for sale anywhere, nor in stud instalation kits ( the 3 attachment types m6,m8,m10 on ebay) now the oem nuts are long so I could just fit 2 of them to try double nutting to get the stud in 3/4 way, but the stud head still protrudes out of the nut.

What are my options?

I was thinking of sourcing studs that were M8, both ends so I can double nut or use the M8 tool, but if any of yous have faced this already, I'd appreciate assistance. i've oiled the ends as well for insertion. ive a .22lr cleaning rod I may try adapt to clean internal threads to remove other shavings 1st.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I replaced 2 rusty cylinder head nuts for nice new shiny ones, and will do the rest shortly as some are badly corroded. I knew from previous experience experience the studs can also unscrew from the head with the nuts, and this happened again with one. I had spares waiting incase this happened again.

The problem is I can't screw the new stud in fully by hand into the head , I get about half way. I could see on the original I took out some metallic shavings on the stud. as far as im aware this would be the 1st or 2nd time it would have been removed.

The oem studs are M8 at the head end and appear to be M7 size at the nut end. I have tried double nutting, but M6 is too small and M8 are too big, hence I'd say they are M7. I don't see M7 nuts for sale anywhere, nor in stud instalation kits ( the 3 attachment types m6,m8,m10 on ebay) now the oem nuts are long so I could just fit 2 of them to try double nutting to get the stud in 3/4 way, but the stud head still protrudes out of the nut.

What are my options?

I was thinking of sourcing studs that were M8, both ends so I can double nut or use the M8 tool, but if any of yous have faced this already, I'd appreciate assistance. i've oiled the ends as well for insertion. ive a .22lr cleaning rod I may try adapt to clean internal threads to remove other shavings 1st.

These are the exhuast flange studs, not cylinder head studs.
Yes, they are M8 into the head with M7 nuts.
I just replace them with stainless M8 sockethead bolts

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are the exhuast flange studs, not cylinder head studs.
Yes, they are M8 into the head with M7 nuts.
I just replace them with stainless M8 sockethead bolts
ah ha, that will do me! thanks for that BladeRacer, a good fix. whats that material for round your downpipes?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
ah ha, that will do me! thanks for that BladeRacer, a good fix. whats that material for round your downpipes?

The heat wrap is to reduce the temperature of the engine oil by preventing the exhaust heat radiating into the sump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts