Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 1999 rrx, it had been stood around for many years and had rust in the tank. Ive had the tank coated inside and stripped the carbs and gave them a good clean, resetting the air/fuel mixture to standard factory settings, all good!, Ive also cleaned out the tank filter and needed to fit a new petlock fuel tap kit as the existing diaphram was split with old age. My issue is the bike starts and runs fine, some back firing at first, however, it will only ru with the fuel tap on reserve!, when I put it to "ON" it runs for a while then stops.
Ive checked and re-checked petlock assembly, all good.
Any ideas?
Your help is much appreciated

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,577 Posts
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 1999 rrx, it had been stood around for many years and had rust in the tank. Ive had the tank coated inside and stripped the carbs and gave them a good clean, resetting the air/fuel mixture to standard factory settings, all good!, Ive also cleaned out the tank filter and needed to fit a new petlock fuel tap kit as the existing diaphram was split with old age. My issue is the bike starts and runs fine, some back firing at first, however, it will only ru with the fuel tap on reserve!, when I put it to "ON" it runs for a while then stops.
Ive checked and re-checked petlock assembly, all good.
Any ideas?
Your help is much appreciated
Have you made sure that the small section of the tap that is opened while "on" is not clogged? When you turn the tap to "reserve" it flows the fuel through a different section of the tap.

Based on it probably being left in the "on" position for some time, it's clogged up a bit, reasoning why it works on reserve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you made sure that the small section of the tap that is opened while "on" is not clogged? When you turn the tap to "reserve" it flows the fuel through a different section of the tap.

Based on it probably being left in the "on" position for some time, it's clogged up a bit, reasoning why it works on reserve.
Thanks for info Ian, I will strip it down and check. Much appreciated

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a honda magna that did the same thing so I just left it on reserve lol, it might be a honda thing :D
Nice bike btw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts