Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR: Should I continue down this path of trying to make the 954 ECU run the 929 engine, or should I say screw it and find a 929 ECU (which seems to be impossible on it's own).

The long version:
So while searching for parts to use for another build, I stumbled across this sale thread where a guy was parting out a 929 that he was building into a streetfighter and never finished. Long story short I got it mostly complete for $200... one of those things where I had neither the need nor the garage space, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. After shipping from KY to CO and a valve job, I'm still under $1k into it, so doing good on that end.

"Mostly complete" didn't include an ECU. I read somewhere on the internet (so it has to be true... yeah?...) about running them with a 954 ECU gives you better mapping or something... yeah, maybe not so true, but it's sure as hell easier to find the 954 ECU than the 929.

(Side note, why the hell is it so hard to find ECU's for these things? I don't understand).

So I acquired a 954 ECU and harness. Then I forgot about it and acquired ANOTHER 954 ECU a few weeks later... yes, really.
The harness is ran, but a handful of the connections don't quite match up and it's kind of a pain in the ass.
Given that I have no idea if the 954 ECU will actually end up working with the engine, and the fact that I have a 929 harness sitting here, should I just toss the 954 stuff and pick up the right ECU? And if so... where the hell do I find one?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Now you just need to pick up a 954 engine to go with the ECU. If you forget and pick up another one 2 weeks later let me know, maybe I'll buy it off you. :rotfl:Sorry, couldn't resist.
BTW, :welcome:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll run a MicroSquirt before I drop that much cash on an OEM replacement. Jesus that's pricey.

·
Banned
474 Posts
I would ask myself this and see if I need the original ECU.

1. Does the bike start right up? Yes.
2. Does the bike seem to have the same gas mileage? Yes.
3. Does the bike have the same power as it did with the OE unit? Yes.
4. Does the bike feel hot to ride or overheats past what you know is normal? No.
5. Does the bike throw a code as if to see the wiring is off at the full range of telemetry? No.
6. Does that cover poor starting, overheating, sluggish running, codes all over the place I need to spend a dime on the same old hardware/software plug and play?

Only your wallet knows for sure.

Signed,
NOLTT (you gotta wonder if anyone is listening out dare)... hello, is this mic on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts