Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 CB 1K

My bike almost always runs nice and cool until I get into traffic or stop with it idling. Within a minute or two the temp climbs up to under the danger zone, I've never let it get too hot but it seems as if it would overheat if I let it. It drops right back down once I get some air moving over it. :confused:

Has anyone ever had this trouble? How high should the needle get before the fan turns on? The gauge doesn't have degrees on it so I don't know any specific temps. Could it be that my coolant has lost it's conductivity? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
1994 CB 1K

My bike almost always runs nice and cool until I get into traffic or stop with it idling. Within a minute or two the temp climbs up to under the danger zone, I've never let it get too hot but it seems as if it would overheat if I let it. It drops right back down once I get some air moving over it. :confused:

Has anyone ever had this trouble? How high should the needle get before the fan turns on? The gauge doesn't have degrees on it so I don't know any specific temps. Could it be that my coolant has lost it's conductivity? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
It is perfectly normal for the temperature to rise when you are stationary since no air is passing through the radiator.
If the fan works but is not coming on then it is not running too hot.
The fan should come on just past boiling point which is probably around the red zone on the gauge.
If you short the fan switch and the fan still doesn't come on then you will need to find out why.
If your coolant is more than a couple of years old then it needs replacing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the information. The fan does work, but it was a little un-nerving to have the gauge climb so high. I have a new thermo switch coming and I'm going to flush out the coolant since I just recently bought the bike. Cheers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey bladeracer, I flushed the coolant and the bike is running great now. I'm curious what you'd recommend as far as brand of oil to run. I'd like to run 20W50 in it. Does it make a difference? I'm not looking for performance, I just don't want to do any damage. Just riding for fun.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey bladeracer, I flushed the coolant and the bike is running great now. I'm curious what you'd recommend as far as brand of oil to run. I'd like to run 20W50 in it. Does it make a difference? I'm not looking for performance, I just don't want to do any damage. Just riding for fun.
Run whatever you like, it's just oil, but don't run anything that's friction modified or the clutch won't work.
The important thing is to change it regularly to keep it clean.
I run 15W50 semi-synthetic in all my engines and buy it in twenty-litre drums.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts