Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to buy a 2009 Goldwing that has a salvage title and was in a flood. What should I know before I buy?
Does this mean the engine is no good? Will it have to be disassembled to fix? I need to know soon before 4th.
Thanks for any help.
mydogchuey

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would not buy any vehicle that had been in a flood.

Even if the bike runs fine now the water that got into the electrical connections will cause you much grief later when things start to corrode.

Run away from this thing as fast as you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I knew it was too good to be true (country song lyric). What about a theft recovery? any problems there? Again, thanks :rolleyes:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't have any experience with theft recovery.

My guess is that I would have to look at the bike in person. Pictures can hide lots of stuff. If the bike looks acceptable to you then buy it. It's kind of hard to say really. Was the key lock broken? Was it laid down? Was it wheelied for 20 miles, you get the idea. I really don't know, these are just the thoughts that popped into my head.

I am guessing the Wing was available at a great price?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I am trying to buy a 2009 Goldwing that has a salvage title and was in a flood. What should I know before I buy?
Does this mean the engine is no good? Will it have to be disassembled to fix? I need to know soon before 4th.
Thanks for any help.
mydogchuey

Down here a vehicle written off due to immersion is listed as a Statutory Write-off so it can never be relicenced.
If it's actually been under water and not totally stripped within a day or two then it's probably severely damaged throughout.
In my opinion is only useful for parts and many of those are probably not reusable anyway - everything electrical, wheel bearings, brake calipers, cylinder head, crankcases, transmission and a lot of other stuff will probably go straight in the bin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
every bike is diff. a LOT of bikes and cars came out of katrina and were resold with no issues, some were ****ed

i personally saw and rode some that were totally under water for a while, and the heads were pulled, dryed out, and they ran fine.

others were toast

every bike is diff. offer to pay for what the hard parts are worth, and take a risk and run it. worst case scenario you need to replace or rebuild electronics and motor. if you get it for cheap, who cares?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
every bike is diff. a LOT of bikes and cars came out of katrina and were resold with no issues, some were ****ed

i personally saw and rode some that were totally under water for a while, and the heads were pulled, dryed out, and they ran fine.

others were toast

every bike is diff. offer to pay for what the hard parts are worth, and take a risk and run it. worst case scenario you need to replace or rebuild electronics and motor. if you get it for cheap, who cares?
I would agree that it's possible to get a usable vehicle out of it after some work - the problem is that you don't know if it's worth it until you've done that work to it. I wouldn't consider paying more than the value of any obviously-okay parts though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have owned a couple of theft recovery bikes, Still a crap shoot. They may have severely abused the bike/engine, I got lucky twice but you never know. If the GW was under water you will have sand/silt in the whole bike, I had an idiot buddy submerge his blazer in a river years ago. Over a 6 month time frame everything started going out after it was drained and flushed and all, Trans went first then the engine followed closely by the axles. And that was fresh water from a river not a flood, I would steer clear of that bike

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wouldn't offer anything more than what you would get if you were to cash in by taking it in to a salvage yard.
In the not very recent past I got in on purchasing an 2009 Caddy CTSV and offered to pay the cost of just the drivetrain only. The car was totaled by an Insurance company therefore was given a salvage title, meaning that the car CANNOT be sold for its initial market value, no matter if it was drivable or not. In all honesty you only have to offer what the materials would be worth for scrap. Got the Cadillac for $3500 USD, kept the frt & rr brake setup, the Corvette tranny and LS6 engine. It went into a project that my buddy and I eventually had to sell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts