Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one? Thoughts? Tips?

Did I just blow it buying a Win-phone?

My RAZR is finally dead and I had to pick up something new before a trip tomorrow.

Planned to grab another RAZR or maybe a SLVR, but fell absolutely in love with the form factor vs features of the Blackjack and made an uncharacteristic spur of the moment purchase.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
It's very similar to the Q, which like most things of this nature, people either love or hate. The Q platform is a very basic, casual user-type of PDA/Smartphone unlike the Treo 700's. If you want a real pda/phone check out the Treo's (P for Palm OS or W for Windows OS). They offer far more options and functionality than the Q and I'm guessing the Blackjack.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already a done deal. :)

I wanted a phone. #1 importance to me is size and weight. #2 is features. A very distant #3 is price (I don't pay for these things).

Because the size is so close to the RAZR closed, I just had to do it with all the added features. It's the about same width, actually a bit thinner, feels to be about the same weight, and only about 1 cm longer.

I don't think I'll use the web features too much, except for e-mail when I travel, but it'll be nice to have the ability to jump online to get some info if I'm lost or stuck in traffic or whatever.

I dunno, we'll see if I actually use the thing or not.

About the only downside I see is having to lock the phone when I put it in my pocket.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
It's very similar to the Q, which like most things of this nature, people either love or hate. The Q platform is a very basic, casual user-type of PDA/Smartphone unlike the Treo 700's. If you want a real pda/phone check out the Treo's (P for Palm OS or W for Windows OS). They offer far more options and functionality than the Q and I'm guessing the Blackjack.
I own a Pocket PC based system that has a bigger screen, more upgrade/.option capability etc., etc. than the Q, but it is gathering dust sitting on my bookshelf. The Q has the easiest to setup OWA interface I have seen, and gets e-mail, tasks, calendar and contacts and honks on big attachment downloads (I suspect that's a function of the network though). If you want a pc, buy one, but if you want a phone that handles Outlook, the Q is a great device.

edit, just read LTL's last line. Use the damn holster and you don't have to lock it. The Qs stock plastic holster rules and buying an accessory case is a waste of money (and you'll still have to lock it when you squeeze it into the case).

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Do you have Verizon for a provider? Their EVDO system is waaaaay faster than the 1X network....About 16 seconds for a 1 meg file compared to the 1X system of like 2.5 minutes for the same file.

The Q is nice but if you want to be able to edit files or like using a touch screen the Treo is better.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cingular here.

Is it a hopeless cause to integrate freakin' Lotus Notes e-mail onto this phone?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I don't think I'll use the web features too much, except for e-mail when I travel, but it'll be nice to have the ability to jump online to get some info if I'm lost or stuck in traffic or whatever.
Whatever.:rolleyes: I see lots of "wirelessly posted by..." in your future.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Does the blackjack do HDSPA/UMTS/WDCMA? Edge is just too damn slow for anything other than casual data usage IMO.

I'm about a month of use into my Q, and I concur with just about everything abtech has said... I tether it to my laptop and get wicked fast internet just about everywhere as well.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UMTS/HSDPA and Quad Band Edge/GPRS

Maybe I should've put more energy into getting a Q...we shall see.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
UMTS/HSDPA and Quad Band Edge/GPRS

Maybe I should've put more energy into getting a Q...we shall see.
have you actually found an area that has UMTS? It'll be cingular's first 3g capable system and will hopefully improve their call quality.

One question, can you turn on and off the UMTS side of the phone or is always on?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
have you actually found an area that has UMTS? It'll be cingular's first 3g capable system and will hopefully improve their call quality.

One question, can you turn on and off the UMTS side of the phone or is always on?
Improve their call quality? I've yet to hear anything better out of Verizon, Sprint, and Alltel.:idunno:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

About 15 miles south their BroadBand HSDPA coverage starts according to their map. It is also supposed to be good up in SJ...next time I'm up in SJ it will be a good test because their EDGE/GPRS coverage SUCKS up there.

Here in OC it's reading as on Edge, but it's notably faster with online content than my old RAZR was. Call quality has always been excellent here.

This phone has better speakers which helps too.

No idea if I can turn it off, I messed around in the settings for a second and it kept saying some restricted type message. But I don't know if I was doing the right thing, and the little "Quick Start" manual doesn't mention it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just picked up a Blackjack last night. I also had a Razor but needed email capability for work, specifically the Good, inc system. Originally I chose the Nokie E-62 because they are supposed to be great phones and it has a gigantic screen, but I was having signal problems in places my Razor always worked great. The E-62 also had a great email feature that blinked a white LED strobe whenever an email was received.

Cingular has a 30 day exchange policy, so I swapped it out for the Samsung. The blackjack has a lot smaller screen and feels "cheeper" if you know what I mean, but it's very compact and seems to work better as a phone.

The word is Cingular's network upgrade hits it January which should improve it's performance. I also noticed the battery life is not that great, how bout you? They give you two batteries, but today was my first day and by tonight I only had 1 bar left. That was with moderate use, but compared with the Nokia, there is no contest. The E-62 was good for at least 2 full days. I'm still trying to figure out how to work off-life with Good mail while I'm at my desk, which may improve the battery life.

Any tips would be appreciated. If this phone doesn't settle in with me, I may try another E-62 Nokia. It's so no-nonsence, it didn't even have a camera! Perfect for business.

Good luck with the phone!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
You got one of these?!?!?! Where the hell was I?

Well, next time you come to SD you can experience UMTS... we have had it for some time now.

You are screwed with Lotus Notes for the most part. There are ways around it, I will fill you in this weekend.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eh...did it real quick today, forgot to do it Sun while I was down there. Was too busy messing with the M4, and forgot my damn card anyway. :rotfl:

As I was getting ready to head out of town, I remembered I still didn't have a cell phone.

I didn't think I was going to be messing with something like this so I hadn't asked you about it...but I did remember you said the Win Mobile was pretty good...looked at your phone too but it was too big for me.

I think I can get on through a web portal Corp IT has set up, but dunno.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also noticed the battery life is not that great, how bout you? They give you two batteries, but today was my first day and by tonight I only had 1 bar left.
No idea yet really. I'm probably not the best guy to ask either, I normally don't talk on it much.

At first I thought it was cool it came with two batts and a separate charger, then realized that might be ominous.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts