Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TB and I will be in San Diego the first week of June. Alex and the moms will be with us, so we can either do the family thing or go off on our own one evening. Any must-see attractions besides Sea World and the zoo? Does anyone know if there is any good SCUBA diving there? I'd like to go somewhere other than a lake in Arkansas. I'll be running the Rock and Roll Marathon on June 4, so come out and cheer me on! I'll be the last one, so easy to find (Phobe and BDA will point out that I'll be easy to find because I'm something like 19 feet taller than everyone else).

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Sunbert said:
TB and I will be in San Diego the first week of June. Alex and the moms will be with us, so we can either do the family thing or go off on our own one evening. Any must-see attractions besides Sea World and the zoo? Does anyone know if there is any good SCUBA diving there? I'd like to go somewhere other than a lake in Arkansas. I'll be running the Rock and Roll Marathon on June 4, so come out and cheer me on! I'll be the last one, so easy to find (Phobe and BDA will point out that I'll be easy to find because I'm something like 19 feet taller than everyone else).
There's also the Wild animal park which I've heard is good.
For kids I've heard Legoland is a lot of fun.

We were just at Seaworld the other week and the kids had a blast.

Then you can hit the clothing optional beach. LOL

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Wild Animal Park is so far above the zoo, I recommend skipping the zoo...but a drive through Balboa Park (where the zoo is) is worthy.

La Jolla is pretty touristy, but cool to do a drive through. It's like the Beverly Hills of San Diego.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I get to run through Balboa Park. I'm trying to read the 1/100" print on my brochure...I'll run through downtown, Hillcrest, Fashion Valley Center, down Friars Road (?can't read it), around Mission Bay, by Sea World, down Pacific Highway, and end at the Marine Corps Recruiting Depot. Someone just told me they were disappointed with the zoo, so maybe we'll skip that (and the EXPENSIVE price).

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
You're doing the tour of the city. In your run you'll see most of SD worth seeing it sounds like. :)

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Sunbert said:
Someone just told me they were disappointed with the zoo, so maybe we'll skip that (and the EXPENSIVE price).
If I can't get the conference rate at Loews, they might all be eating peanut butter all week as well...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
:rotfl:

That place definately looked spendy.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
luvtolean said:
You're doing the tour of the city. In your run you'll see most of SD worth seeing it sounds like. :)
And there will be 40 bands along the way, so I'll to sample the local music scene as well! They haven't announced who the headliner will be that evening.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
When you guys figure out which parks you want to goto, PM me.

"Locals" get cheaper rates at the Wild Animal Park and Disneyland. Maybe at Sea World too, dunno.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heavy-Dee said:
Good luck on the marathon. I'm jealous.

HD
Thanks! I was actually training for Flying Pig, but TB was asked to go to a conference in San Diego the same weekend as Rock and Roll. It's supposed to be the most fun marathon in the country--I seriously don't know how it can be more fun than Chicago. That was an awesome race.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RRWANTR said:
I seriously don't see how anyone can consider a marathon fun.....but maybe at 19' tall 26.2 miles is easier and considered fun.:eek:
I used to think that, but once you get in shape and find your rhythm they're a lot of fun. The crowds are awesome and help keep you going. Plus, there's beer at the end.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The Rock and Roll is a lot of fun... the bands perform for us locals too... the bad thing for us is that the race TOTALLY screws up traffic in the city. Friars Road is a major expressway route, and Mission Bay is one of the top tourist spots. Nevermind the 163, which is a major downtown artery.

But anyway, I digress. If you are into Museums, check out Balboa Park. If you are into Military stuff, check out the USS Midway and Star of India down on the Embarcadero. Zoo is inside Balboa Park. Wild Animal Park is a 30 minute drive north to Escondido. You will be here during peak tourist season, so lines will be long. (Sorry!)

You mentioned SCUBA. You can dive in La Jolla cove, or out to sea. I am sure there are more spots than that, I am going to ask around.

If you want to get out of the car and absorb some of the atmosphere, there are 3 distinct nightlife zones:

1) Pacific Beach - the college kids party zone. Block after block of clubs and bars. Median Age ~24.

2) Downtown (which the out-of-towners call the Gaslamp) - More upscale. Dozens of nice restaurants, but still has bars and clubs, all in a 5 block by 5 block radius. Take a taxi, parking blows. Median Age ~35.

3) La Jolla - Much nicer restaurants, no real seperate bars or clubs, except for the Comedy Store. Where you go for the upper crust of San Diego. Median Age ~45.

You will be in Coronado, so you can see some of the Yuppie day life as well. Peohe's in Coronado is excellent for dinner, and I highly reccomend it if you get the chance. Take the short taxi ride so you can drink.

Other things to do if you want - rent a Sportbike and check out some of the wonderful canyons and mountains we have. You have possibly heard of Palomar and Ortega, but there are many other smaller roads out there too.

You could take a bay cruise, eat dinner on the water. Surf on one of the many beaches. Hike up around Mt. Laguna. Go skydiving. There are many, many, many things to do.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
For food, we have hit Little Italy the last couple weekends...good cappuccino and pastry at least. :rotfl:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
navydevildoc said:
2) Downtown (which the out-of-towners call the Gaslamp) - More upscale. Dozens of nice restaurants, but still has bars and clubs, all in a 5 block by 5 block radius. Take a taxi, parking blows. Median Age ~35.
I was at Dicks Last Resort on Sunday:thumb:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts