Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched high and low on the forums but I cant find the answer.

Are sc28 and sc33 forks interchangeable? I'm looking to get compression AND rebound daming on my sc28 track bike and don't want to break the bank buying a whole new front end.

The calipers and triple clamps looks the same but I cant find the answer. please help!!!!

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
I have SC33 forks from a 96 (RRT) on my 93, straight slide in application. Rebound AND compression, as well as the standard preload.

So that means 95-97 or RRS-RRV forks will work.

Attachments

·
8,055 Posts
Bob, in my above post, I said 95-97 forks will work. The 98-99 forks, as I’m fairly certain, will not.

I with the change in triple spacing (farther apart), and larger brake disk diameter on the 98-99, when I tried to fit mine to my 93 with the 93 wheel, the solid caliper hanger mount is at a slightly different angle to account for the larger disk diameter and carrier offset.

NOW, I remember doing it quickly one late night in the garage, so I may not have fiddled with it as much as I should have, but I know that’s why I didn’t put my 99 forks on my 93.

Did you do a dry fit to make sure it worked???????

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob, in my above post, I said 95-97 forks will work. The 98-99 forks, as I’m fairly certain, will not.

I with the change in triple spacing (farther apart), and larger brake disk diameter on the 98-99, when I tried to fit mine to my 93 with the 93 wheel, the solid caliper hanger mount is at a slightly different angle to account for the larger disk diameter and carrier offset.

NOW, I remember doing it quickly one late night in the garage, so I may not have fiddled with it as much as I should have, but I know that’s why I didn’t put my 99 forks on my 93.

Did you do a dry fit to make sure it worked???????

I have not but I'm willing to roll the dice on how much ive saved buying a second hand set of forks. TBH some new triple clamps and calipers aren't an issue, I have a pretty decent budget to make this right

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just done the maths and its cheaper to just buy some 97 forks and cancel the other order... I must remember not to let my engineers ego of 'of course I can make that work' get in the way...
Order placed, cancellation request sent, panic over.

again, thank you Ian.

·
8,055 Posts
Well, for what it’s worth, I would have felt like sh!t if you spent all that on the forks, sending them out, fitting new doodads, and then hit a road block when the wheel doesn’t fit.

Far better off with the 97 forks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SO! an update to this thread.

I got a set of 99 forks fully refurbed and powder coated. Had the Full KTech SSRK bits put in and then had a look at putting them into the bike.... However these are the things that you need to know when putting SC33 forks into an SC28...

-You need to run larger 330mm discs as the mounting points for the calipers on an sc33 are higher up.
-Any of the cbr900rr calipers are interchangeable
-You need to run sc33 triple clamps AND sc33 front wheel because the sc28 front wheel with 330mm calipers will actually foul against the forks at the disc rivets.
-The spindle is also totally different as the sc28 hub and sc33 hub are different widths and require different spacers.
-I need to perform some magic to get the mechanical speedo running on what is basically a sc33 front end. Not sure how impossible this is yet. I'm anticipating shortening the LH spacer and slotting the pickup in. Get ready for the swearing when this doesn't work.

All in all its pretty much what Ian said a few posts above but now I can 100% back him up! This project has been an absolute c*nt from start to this point (we are nowhere near finished) but if I can pull it off I will have achieved my aim of building an SC28 that looks 100% standard to the untrained eye but runs the best parts money has to offer.

Also I am interested to see how the blade handles with a hybrid geometry. For those who aren't complete anoraks it goes something like this:

Those with eagle eyes will see that the wheelbase will be 5mm shorter on a standard rake which was already a fairly agressive 24 degrees (steeper than all the cbr1000rr's). Overall the wheelbase will be 1400mm which is bang on the cbr954 (depending on where you get your data) and within .2 degree of rake angle. As I'm a big fan of how the 954 handles but a carb fanatic this seems like a great match.

Also to take into account are the front and rear suspension which are brand new and set for my weight using the best products the market has to offer.

Watch this space.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
SO! an update to this thread.

I got a set of 99 forks fully refurbed and powder coated. Had the Full KTech SSRK bits put in and then had a look at putting them into the bike.... However these are the things that you need to know when putting SC33 forks into an SC28...

-You need to run larger 330mm discs as the mounting points for the calipers on an sc33 are higher up.
You sure you need 330mm discs? The 98/99 SC33 runs 310mm discs, you shouldn't need to go any larger when fitting these forks to an SC28.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've searched high and low on the forums but I cant find the answer.

Are sc28 and sc33 forks interchangeable? I'm looking to get compression AND rebound daming on my sc28 track bike and don't want to break the bank buying a whole new front end.

The calipers and triple clamps looks the same but I cant find the answer. please help!!!!
Does Racetech offer an emulator kit for this bike?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Triple clamp offsets might be a good investment for the geometry tinkerer. Also, you may need swingarm pivot adjustability. You can do some of that with shock length but it has it's limitations.

·
8,055 Posts
Does Racetech offer an emulator kit for this bike?
They’re a cartridge fork Jay, old school, but not that old, so they can be revalved, shimmer, etc. My understanding is the emulator is for a standard damping rod style fork with no cartridge (even older lol).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
They’re a cartridge fork Jay, old school, but not that old, so they can be revalved, shimmer, etc. My understanding is the emulator is for a standard damping rod style fork with no cartridge (even older lol).
Wouldn’t it have been possible to revalve the OEM forks?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Did I miss something? What is the OP trying to accomplish?

·
8,055 Posts
Did I miss something? What is the OP trying to accomplish?
93 and 94 900’s didn’t have compression damping so he was looking at options. He got a set of fully adjustable 99 forks, but it’s a huge hassle to retro fit the 99 forks to the older 900’s.

The 95-97 forks are also fully adjustable, but he didn’t go that route.

I think the whole point was that he just wanted the full adjustability, which he now has.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts