Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It works it works it works!!!

99 forks, triple, wheel and mudguard combo is a go!!!

I took her for a spin in the rain and the new suspension feels telepathic, worth every penny.

Pictures to follow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone happen to know if the axle is interchangeable?

I bought a fireblade for the track but its mixed with different components. So i think i have an SC33 front end without calipers, axle and tree-top. however, here in the Netherlands SC28 parts are redundant and SC33 are scares.. so looking to pick 'n mix. Thanks in advance

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
Does anyone happen to know if the axle is interchangeable?

I bought a fireblade for the track but its mixed with different components. So i think i have an SC33 front end without calipers, axle and tree-top. however, here in the Netherlands SC28 parts are redundant and SC33 are scares.. so looking to pick 'n mix. Thanks in advance
You would need to verify exactly what model year it is. The SC33 of 1996-97 still had the basic front end set up as the SC28 from 92-95 but, the SC33 of 98-99 has wider spaced triple clamps and a longer front axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You would need to verify exactly what model year it is. The SC33 of 1996-97 still had the basic front end set up as the SC28 from 92-95 but, the SC33 of 98-99 has wider spaced triple clamps and a longer front axle.
Thanks for the respons Ian. But that is exactly where i'm struggling. I have no clue how to figure that out. Is the difference between SC33 forks between 96/97 and 98/99 made visible by the brake caliper mounts? if so, then i know which model year i have.

·
8,055 Posts
Thanks for the respons Ian. But that is exactly where i'm struggling. I have no clue how to figure that out. Is the difference between SC33 forks between 96/97 and 98/99 made visible by the brake caliper mounts? if so, then i know which model year i have.
Best way to tell is to see what bottom triple clamp you have. The 98-99 is aluminum and spaces the forks farther apart. The 92-97 is black steel. Post up a pic of your entire front end set up.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Ian, is there a way to tell just by the forks alone if it is a 98-99 or
a 95-97? People are selling forks on ebay saying that they are a certain
year. I have seen some saying that they are a 94 but they have the rebound
adjuster on them. Is there any visible difference between the 98-99 and 95-97 forks?
Thanks.

·
8,055 Posts
Ian, is there a way to tell just by the forks alone if it is a 98-99 or
a 95-97? People are selling forks on ebay saying that they are a certain
year. I have seen some saying that they are a 94 but they have the rebound
adjuster on them. Is there any visible difference between the 98-99 and 95-97 forks?
Thanks.
Great question!!! I based my knowledge on 3 factors.

1) the 95-97 forks will have a compression adjuster AND the casting for the speedo drive stop. YES, it was cast in the 95-97 forks even though they didn’t use a speedo drive on the front wheel anymore.

2) The other main visible difference is the SIZE of the compression adjuster. The 95-97 is larger and “older” looking, where the 98-99 is more “refined” and smaller looking.

3) The bottom caliper mount casting is slightly different. The 98-99 looks like a 2 piece design, where the 93-97 looks smooth and more of a one piece design. You can see the difference in my pics.

The Speedo Stop
C3E58AFA-D947-4C53-95C8-C69480C21872.jpeg

My 93’s (96 forks) compression adjuster
9F2A08AD-AEBD-4944-A36D-37E4C6C7D4CA.jpeg

04C16C45-16E4-4EF9-8A22-398FA7B730DD.jpeg

My 99’s compression adjuster
5DDCB95D-690D-4AE8-BE00-3139F5FEE3A8.jpeg

7D1EE632-16A3-4013-B0F1-D04B7097EE24.jpeg

I hope that helps :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best way to tell is to see what bottom triple clamp you have. The 98-99 is aluminum and spaces the forks farther apart. The 92-97 is black steel. Post up a pic of your entire front end set up.
This is my set-up as far as it is complete.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

sooooo i'm gusseing 98 99 model?

·
8,055 Posts
Yes, that set up on the front is 98-99. Your frame is SC28 92-95, which is fine.

The problem I see though (and thanks for posting pics), is that your forks are on the wrong side. Your lower there on the right side should be on the left side (as noted by the sticker facing out, but also for the caliper mount as the cut out portion should face the tire. The bolt goes into the right fork, and the axle pushes in from the left side (sitting on the bike of course).

FCF14F20-E7AC-48DB-BEC1-1F44FCBD27CB.jpeg

F08862DF-4C80-4A44-BC5C-3987F1D93ADE.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ian.. your knowledge is unprecedented... thank you very much. the previous owner took out a USD fork and just threw this one in... so i'm a bit up in arms with this thing because i didn't disassemble it so assembling it makes it that tiny bit harder.

Thanx again!

·
8,055 Posts
Ian.. your knowledge is unprecedented... thank you very much. the previous owner took out a USD fork and just threw this one in... so i'm a bit up in arms with this thing because i didn't disassemble it so assembling it makes it that tiny bit harder.

Thanx again!
Thanks Steve, these old carbied blades are really special to me :nerd

·
Registered
85 Posts
Back from the dead.

I have a leaky fork seal on my 1993 SC28. I badly need compression adjustability. Whilst doing the rebuild I'm going to upgrade the internals also. Not going to spend all that effort on the single adjustable SC28 forks. I am planning on upgrading the front brakes at the same time as those are also shot. Clean 98-99 calipers are already in hand ready for minor rebuild, Carbone Lorraine pads are in the mail. :)

My comprehensive research on 1992-2003 Fireblade/900RR/929RR/954RR has lead me to believe there are many innacuracies in what I've read online in terms on interchangeability.

In theory, I believe 98-99 double adjustable front forks, larger calipers, front wheel, and its 310mm rotors can EASILY be bolted onto a SC28 chassis if the right parts are used. While retaining the factory geometry by using the original SC28 triple clamps. I also plan to retain the smaller SC28 fender. I feel the SC33 front fender doesn't match the early body work.

I have SC33 forks from a 96 (RRT) on my 93, straight slide in application. Rebound AND compression, as well as the standard preload.

So that means 95-97 or RRS-RRV forks will work.
Ian, did you have any issues mounting your SC28 fender on the SC33 forks? I have read online that the SC28 fender doesn't fit the SC33 lower forks. Looks fine in your pictures?

I did some part number comparing. It turns out 96-97 have the same front fender as 98-99, just the plastic fork brackets are different, presumably for the wider fork spacing on 98-99 bikes.

SO! an update to this thread.
However these are the things that you need to know when putting SC33 forks into an SC28...

-You need to run larger 310mm [corrected] discs as the mounting points for the calipers on an sc33 are higher up.
-You need to run sc33 triple clamps AND sc33 front wheel because the sc28 front wheel with 330mm calipers will actually foul against the forks at the disc rivets.
-The spindle is also totally different as the sc28 hub and sc33 hub are different widths and require different spacers.
I do not see why you NEED to run 98-99 triple clamps. I have read the rotor bolt patten on the 98-99 wheels are different because of the larger 310mm disc. Provided the axle diameter is the same on 98-99 front wheels, I see no reason why one can simply not run a 98-99 front wheel with 310mm rotors and the 98-99 calipers, all with the stock SC28 triple clamps.

Can anyone confirm the axle DIAMETER is the same? Not width? I guess I'll go check some bearing part numbers and see if I get lucky.

Maybe the 98-99 triple clamp geometry is better on the SC28 chassis, maybe it isn't. I'm not yet a good enough rider to be able to tell, so I'm sticking with what mathemagics Mr. Baba originally designed.

I have read in multiple sources that 92-03 front calipers are interchangeable. This leads me to believe that 98-99 forks MUST have higher mounting points as BreakItBobh has pointed out, to accommodate the 310mm 98-99 discs. Many sources have stated all SC33 forks are the same, I don't see how this can be true given 96-97 bikes have 296mm rotors as the SC28. 98-99 Caliper mounting points on the forks MUST be different given the larger rotors.

So, this is the parts list I've compiled that I will NEED from a 98-99 bike to fit onto my SC28. Reason I am choosing to go with 98-99 is to take advantage of the bigger brakes. My brakes are in bad need of servicing so I'm not going out of my way.

98-99 Parts:
-Forks
-Front Wheel
-Rotors
-Calipers
-Pads

I'm not concerned about the speedo, just the mechanical parts, I will be swapping out the clocks and harness eventually.

Also, I'm not interested in 929/954 front ends as I don't want to mess with the geometry, have the handlebars hitting the frame at full lock, and want to retain my steering lock for the street.

Thoughts, questions, comments, concerns, profanity?

·
8,055 Posts
This is uncharted area, but I will offer my
opinion.
You need to be careful using SC33 as a term defining the bikes for 96-97 and 98-99. Although both are SC33, the 98-99 are different from 98-99 in many ways.

My SC33 96-97 forks fit right in and use the 296mm discs. The 98-99 in my opinion, needed the 98-99 triples due to the front wheel hub being different than the 96-97 and uses different spacers. If you use the 95-97 clamps, with a 98-99 wheel and forks, you’ll need custom spacers anyway. The 98-99 fork tubes do in fact have a higher angle andif used on a 95-97 wheel will not bite the entire rotor surface.

As far as the calipers go, even the RC51 and early 600RR ones are the same and will fit. I have RC51 ones on my track bike. There are subtle differences in piston size on a few of them though (I think between the 954 and 929).

I will be interested to know how you make out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is uncharted area, but I will offer my
opinion.
You need to be careful using SC33 as a term defining the bikes for 96-97 and 98-99. Although both are SC33, the 96-97 are different from 98-99 in many ways.
Yes, I have learned that. Was very confusing when I first got my bike. I prefer the way the brits do it, with the RR# codes. I try to only use the SC33 blanket term when discussing parts that were universal for the SC33 chassis. Same with SC28, as the US 95 mode and UK 94 model had updated parts. What I have learned though, that here in 'MURICA most discussion boards only go by model year, and even SC28 and SC33 chassis codes are not understood. So usually I try to post using model years for the Americans, but then this board has some Brits, and Canadians, and we all had different model year generation changes. :S

My SC33 96-97 forks fit right in and use the 296mm discs. The 98-99 in my opinion, needed the 98-99 triples due to the front wheel hub being different than the 96-97 and uses different spacers. If you use the 95-97 clamps, with a 98-99 wheel and forks, you’ll need custom spacers anyway. The 98-99 fork tubes do in fact have a higher angle andif used on a 95-97 wheel will not bite the entire rotor surface.
Thanks for confirming the caliper mounting position on 98-99 blades. This is the only way it makes sense to me, but wasn't able to find multiple sources confirming it. Worst case if I need custom spacers at the axle that's really not a big deal, but I'm quite positive I can use the spacers from 96-97 blades, unless Honda changed the wheel width. Anyone have some spare front wheels lying around for measurements? I'll try some part number comparing later tonight.

As far as the calipers go, even the RC51 and early 600RR ones are the same and will fit. I have RC51 ones on my track bike. There are subtle differences in piston size on a few of them though (I think between the 954 and 929).
Yes, contrary to common belief the 929 and 954 DO have different front calipers and master cylinders. I thoroughly researched calipers, piston sizes, pads, and master cylinders when I decided to go with the 98-99 900RR ones. Can't remember the exact reason why anymore, but that's where I ended up. I think RC51 had the same size pistons as 98-99 900RR, I have it all down on a spreadsheet somewhere. Basically on the 929 and 954 they went down in piston size, in my head though they made up for it with the 330mm rotor diameter. So, in my opinion the commonly done 929/954 front caliper upgrade isn't the best option for SC28s and SC33s given their smaller rotors.

I will be interested to know how you make out.
Wanted to solidify some theories before I pull the trigger on a 98-99 front wheel and 98-99 forks. Didn't want to be stuck with some expensive paper weights. I'm getting there... ebay also has to be cooperative...

Oh by the way, how was the SC28 fender fitment on your 96-97 forks?

·
8,055 Posts
Ooops, forgot that the one. It bolted right up with no issue. The difference is it won’t fit on the 98-99, because the forks are spaced farther apart in the clamp (that’s where guys saying SC33 get in trouble), it fits the 96/97 SC33, but not the 98/99 SC33. It falls onto the tire lol

21 - 36 of 36 Posts