Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i've been transforming my 98 blade to more aggressive looking and i have now encountered my first real problem with this project.

I assembled the bike and got it running after 5 months within 5 seconds of starting. After a minute i noticed a fuel leak that was coming from somewhere near the carbs.

I removed the carbs and did some leak testing with water and I could clearly see the water leaking from the unions between inlet T sections and the carb bodies. When I move the inlet hose so the T unions move too they all leak.

do i have to separate the carbs to change the o rings inside or is there something else i can do?

Just for clarification, the inlet hose is connected to a t section, and both of these hoses are connected to another set of T sections that go inside the carb bodies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your talking about the unions between each carby the answer is yes.
Each Union has Orings. There is a set of long bolts holding the 4 carbs together. A good work shop manual will show you how to dismantle. If your handy with the tools you should be ok.

·
Registered
596 Posts
each union has 2 o-rings. had the EXACT same thing this year when i first went out to ride. thought it was a stuck float, took everything apart and cleaned it all up put it back together and still leaking. a regular carb rebuild kit DOES NOT come with the o-rings you need to replace for that T fitting, fyi. i got new o-rings at ACE and put em in, all is right in the world again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey everybody and thanks for the answers.

I searched and searched the internet honda dealers + ebay + couple of local honda dealers and the cheapest option was 50€ from ebay, 40€ of that was postage.

I read a couple of threads about the same problem and some people got the O-rings swollen back by fuel. I had nothing to lose so I hanged a small maintenance fuel tank from the ceiling and left the carburetors on the floor under fuel pressure for three days.

After an hour the unions only leaked when I moved the fuel hose. Now after three days the O-rings hold fuel and I cannot get them to leak no matter how I move the fuel hose.

Lucky me, thanks guys :clap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts