Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own an '03 954. Love the bike, and especially the look. I believe it has held up aesthetically and doesn't look anywhere near as old as it is. That being said, I had to leave it at my mechanic for some emergency front caliper repairs. The owner loaned me his beloved '98 919. As soon as I sat on it I was much more comfortable than on my own bike. It's not as "pretty" a bike as mine (although beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but so much more fun to ride, for me. Maybe because it's carbureted instead of FI? I know the SC33 had smaller brake discs and a 16" front wheel instead of the 17" that now is more common. But, any other things I should consider before going to an SC33? I'm seriously considering trading mine in for one. All opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
This can probably only be answered by someone who has owned each of the bikes. I have a 954 but have never ridden a 918, so I can't offer a comparison. To me, the answer is really a personal preference decision as I do not see any negatives in either bike.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,045 Posts
The 954 is the culmination of Baba’s vision of the cbr900RR, but in saying that I think it was also a bike that was at the end of a design idea. It had the “pivot-less chassis”, (which I believe was a design flaw, as the RC45, nor the RC51 had it), 330mm rotors which was another “idea” that I think flopped as 320 still seems to be the “norm” and please correct me if I’m wrong as I’m out of touch with modern day stuff. The 98-99 SC33 had 310mm rotors, which were more than adequate, and should still be quite the stopping force.
The 98-99 SC33 is a much more upright and plush ride, with ample power and good handling. The carburetion is spot on, and can even be enhanced by full exhausts, air filters, and jet kits. The throttle is less “snappy” than the original FI 929 and 954, but delivers smooth, usable power.

I’m not knocking the 954 by any means, just the differences. I would have a 954 if I could.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hello there , i`ve owned an rrv and an rrx and now the 954 , for me personally , if i could go back i would not have chosen the 954 , when i was looking to purchase another blade , it was either an sc33 or sc50 , i chose the 954. but after a year of ownership its very finicky where as my RRV saw me riding in all weathers all year round , it had character too , the 954 doesnt seem to have that for me , i cant even use it in the rain cos she hates water , you certainly cant wash it . maybe its just me , but i been riding for 40 years and hands down for me its sc33 . its not all doom and gloom with 954 though cos as you might have read on here , i have managed to good rides , it just takes a lot of looking after and peoples do like to come and chat when i park the 954 , so its not all bad

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
hello there , i`ve owned an rrv and an rrx and now the 954 , for me personally , if i could go back i would not have chosen the 954. . .
Wow, that's stunned me! I am always amazed how different bikes are more appealing to some than others.

Just today, on the Triumph Daytona forum, a member offered his brand new Daytona Moto 2 for sale because at 52-years-of-age he cannot handle the riding position. 52? WTF?:eek: Selling number 064 - Daytona 765 Main Chat board

Anyway, I've made my point before about the 929 being better than the 954, but for now I'll let you guys get back to the SC33 question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's a fact, and i'm sure iandoohan will back me up here, carbureted bikes are just better :LOL:
That's what I've been told and I noticed the difference.

Turns out the caliper cylinders are scored and causing leaks. So I now have to find and replace calipers. Anyone know what other models used the same calipers as the 2003 954? Just so I know what to look for........thanks in advance

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have never ridden a 954, but have owned a 99 blade and now a 93. Aesthetically the 98-99 leave a little to be desired imo; however, my opinion changes with the wind on that. The bike itself is an amazing ride, the smoothness is hard to overstate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is an interesting read for me as I have an SC28 (my first "real" bike), and a friend a 954. We are both getting our bikes "refreshed" to get back on the road.

I was always concerned the amount of effort I'm putting into my SC28 may not be worth it as it'd be outdated, nice to hear the SC33 is still apreciated compared to the 954. Not sure if that applies to the SC28.

I always thought the 954 was supposed to be the cream of Baba's crop. Very interesting...

Regarding your calipers, 954 have unique piston sizes compared to all prior blades, even the 929. 929 will bolt on but your master will technically not match it. ebay is your friend here. At least up front, supposedly all piston sizes from 92-03 blades are the same in the rear, but I've heard all these conspiracies about magical anti-friction coatings on the 954 and so fourth. At the end of the day though, if you want your rear caliper to colour match the 954's fronts, you need a 954 rear also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts