Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after doing a bunch of tests including all sensors, injectors, new exhaust gaskets, airbox gaskets, plugs, fpreg, IAT, SMOG injection delete, stator and r/r test good. Battery is fine etc.

I still have the same problem. No error lights at all.

The bike stutters at 3k and last night I took it over 8k purposely for the first time as the bike is fairly new to me and I've been hesitant to really get on it because I know something is wrong.

At 8k the bike got REAL weird bucked and popped until I pulled the clutch in.

The only test the bike didn't pass was the fuel pump flow test but I realized after I put the bike back that I did it incorrectly and overlooked disconnecting and plugging the vacuum line on the fuel pressure reg. Results of the test under this condition were about 140cc after 10sec vs the minimum in the manual is supposed to be 188cc.

Bike has no HTEV, full LeoVinci exhaust and a BMC filter which is new. PCIII USB with dYnojet map I was assured by dynojet would be sufficient.

The bike behaves the same with or without the PC connected at least with the low rpm stutter.

Fuel flow test aside I'm starting to think timing issue?

I will redo the flow test asap but until then anyone have any other ideas?

SOLVED:

After putting in a different ECU and changing the fuel pump I still had the same issues.

In the end I changed out the ignition pulse generator located inside the right crankcase cover and the bike runs flawlessly now. I haven't had a stutter or miss in 100miles. Not an expensive part either. About 40 bucks on motosport.com. i didn't even buy a new one. My timing inspection cover was seized and I trashed the crankcase cover trying to free it. The used crankcase came with the sensor attached haha!

It should be noted that testing the sensor on the bike requires a peak hold tool and when using a regular voltmeter it is very hard to see any voltage at all. (>.07v is what you're looking for).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked at the Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel pressure regulator is brand new. Said that in the OP. I've looked at all the basics (fuel spark and air). Also as of this posting I've ordered a new fuel pump motor from quantum fuels so we shall see how that goes.

Again still open to other ideas if anyone has them. Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry missed that, did you check the HT ignition coils when you did the spark plugs
Yes also tested those. Resistance was in range on all coils. Also tested each coil for spark and all were fine.

Doesn't sound like fuel starvation as it's struggling higher up the rev range, sounds more like an electrical issue, have you checked the stator, battery etc.
Battery test good after a ride, after sitting, and while running. Stator wires all test at .2ohm and have no continuity or burnt wires etc.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Hi matey, hope the pump cures it, does it idle ok, it seems like you've tested everything and yet still got the fault, you said you just got the bike ,is the fuel ok, will wait to see how you go on with the new pump:wink

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi matey, hope the pump cures it, does it idle ok, it seems like you've tested everything and yet still got the fault, you said you just got the bike ,is the fuel ok, will wait to see how you go on with the new pump
The only other things I haven't full tested are the bank angle sensor and the actual tach cluster.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It still could be a fuel problem. I had a gsxr 1000 that didn't have the low rpm stumble but acted very similar in the upper rpms. It also struggled to pull past 8000 without surging and missing. I pulled the fuel pump out and took the actual pump out of the housing. I did a "backflush" on the housing and you would not believe the amount of crap that came out of the housing. Also "backflushed" the pump itself. basically I took a hand pump and forced gas backwards through the housing and pump (opposite of the way the gas usually flows) worked perfect. The very first ride the bike ran right up to redline with zero issues. The bike was immaculate as well and well taken care of, but the fuel these days sucks! I would try that for sure, it only cost a little time. I got the hand pump from harbor freight for about $5.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DLC?

Edit I understand. Pull the codes by jumping the diagnostic connector correct? I will see what happens.
Yes that's right, just woke up Its 02;30 here in UK
Mornin!
It still could be a fuel problem. I had a gsxr 1000 that didn't have the low rpm stumble but acted very similar in the upper rpms. It also struggled to pull past 8000 without surging and missing. I pulled the fuel pump out and took the actual pump out of the housing. I did a "backflush" on the housing and you would not believe the amount of crap that came out of the housing. Also "backflushed" the pump itself. basically I took a hand pump and forced gas backwards through the housing and pump (opposite of the way the gas usually flows) worked perfect. The very first ride the bike ran right up to redline with zero issues. The bike was immaculate as well and well taken care of, but the fuel these days sucks! I would try that for sure, it only cost a little time. I got the hand pump from harbor freight for about $5.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. Or even if the pump is weak etc. I know dirty fuel systems well I just never thought about it because the pump sounds so strong when priming. That doesn't really mean anything though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fuel pump went in no problem but wasn't the problem. I have no red light on with the bike running but shorted the diagnostic connector and got the following codes:

Could someone fill in what these are for me? My manual is in my work bag and not with the bike as I am right now.

I thought 34 and 35 were the servo motor for HTEV which I do not have (full exhaust) and have installed the bypass resistor/capacitor combo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know what the other codes are but you are correct about 34/35. Did you backflush the fuel system? If there is crap in the fuel pump canister replacing the fuel pump wont change anything. Went through the same thing with the gsxr. Put new pump in, had same problems. Was advised to backflush the fuel pump housing and once I did that bike was good to go. Good luck getting it sorted out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know what the other codes are but you are correct about 34/35. Did you backflush the fuel system? If there is crap in the fuel pump canister replacing the fuel pump wont change anything. Went through the same thing with the gsxr. Put new pump in, had same problems. Was advised to backflush the fuel pump housing and once I did that bike was good to go. Good luck getting it sorted out.
What is the "canister"? The filter is new and the entire assembly is clean as a whistle. Everything in there is new. All three filters are new now. We have a bag filter, mesh filter and an actual in line fuel filter. The new pump came with a new bag filter and I cleaned the mesh myself.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Fuel pump went in no problem but wasn't the problem. I have no red light on with the bike running but shorted the diagnostic connector and got the following codes:

Could someone fill in what these are for me? My manual is in my work bag and not with the bike as I am right now.

I thought 34 and 35 were the servo motor for HTEV which I do not have (full exhaust) and have installed the bypass resistor/capacitor combo.
Those codes will be stored codes , you will need to wipe them by resetting.Then see what codes it kicks up

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Those codes will be stored codes , you will need to wipe them by resetting.Then see what codes it kicks up
How do you clear them? I was under the impression that the codes would not appear if there was no issue.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts